Moderator: Moderators

naz85
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upstairs taps/showers running hot and cold - downstairs fine

Post by naz85 »

Hi all

I have a combi boiler setup, Vaillant Ecotec plus 831. The house does not have great flow. If the kitchen sink tap is on, the upstairs taps wont work. If the outside garden hose is on, no taps in the house run. I understand that my supply pipe is lead and in need of change. However, the taps were usable and so was the shower.

After the garden hose, or even the washing mashine is used, I experience spluttering from the upstairs taps and shower. Only for a few seconds before it clears. It happens every time.

In the last few days, the tap and shower upstairs does not maintain its temperature, fluctuating between hot and cold. I notice that the boiler starts to heat the water, then stops before kicking back in.

The kitchen tap downstairs is fine and maintains is temperature. The boiler is in the kitchen.

Any ideas on what I can do to try and rectify?

Thanks
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It sounds like a mains water pressure issue. Combi boilers work using mains pressure and although there will be starvation of hot if two hot outlets are open at once, the cold should be fairly consistent. I think you need to investigate the pipe run more closely, assuming your main stop cock is fully open.

DWD
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I don't quite agree with dewaltdisney (sorry)
We have a combi, and we don't shower if the washing machine is on, and if watering the plants (Hose) we don't bother with anything else.
yes it is to do with water pressure, or lack of

Particularly on a Sunday. (I jest not) the shower is not feeble, but not as good as other days, I guess the water company save money by not running so many pumps on Sundays.

naz85, you do have a water pressure problem, but it may be the water company running less pumps.

The bigger diameter pipe you have the more flow you can get, so even though it did work, get that lead pipe changed. (You 100% sure its lead? I thought you should not drink water from a lead pipe)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
yartin

Post by yartin »

If it is the case of low pressure and supplier won't increase it, the only way to enjoy shower is to do few major changes. Change combi boiler to traditional boiler, install cold water tank in the loft, hot water cylinder and twin pump for hot & cold water. It will cost around £4k?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

A water supply pipe that is not lead would be my first choice.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Plumbing Forum”