plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

GiveitagoGary
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by GiveitagoGary »

Hi I currently have a small cloakroom with the soil stack at 90% from the pan and the pan has a side exit waste which is rubbish. I want to replace the toilet and change the orientation so it backs onto the soilstack. A couple of plumbers have looked at it but seem to thinks it's too much hassle. Can the old stack be cut back? Or am I asking too much!
Attachments
1596289727087619801903.jpg
1596289727087619801903.jpg (115.72 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
1596289697941710075033.jpg
1596289697941710075033.jpg (155.99 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
Someone-Else

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by Someone-Else »

I am NOT a plumber, yes it can be cut back (Even though it looks like its cast iron) but why would you want to do it?
To take it through the wall behind the toilet you would still have to meet with the original stack, but that would mean going round a corner and with a slope, so you would have to "hack" the original stack to add the new pipe (as it will need to be lower down to give the pipe some fall) and what would you gain? not to mention the waste pipe from the hand basin will still have to run on the same wall.

But if you have lots of time and lots of money go for it, but I really don't see the point. But do wait and see what others say.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
GiveitagoGary
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by GiveitagoGary »

The current loo projects too far and I'm trying to change this to a shower room, changing the orientation and fitting a short projection loo would give us the space to do this
Someone-Else

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by Someone-Else »

You are there, I am not, but try this. :scratch: (Bear with me, it will save a lot of grief later)
Get a big piece of cardboard (Old cardboard box cut up and stuck together to make a big flat piece will do) Put it on the toilet, and with a marker pen draw round the toilet seat (From the underside of the cardboard, so you follow the shape of the toilet) mark where the centre back is. Now cut it out, but leave a few inches at the centre back sticking out. (This will be the toilet outlet)
Now what you have is not a funny shape piece of card, but a virtual toilet. :thumbright:

Now turn the virtual toilet 90 degrees, so the centre back is sitting over the existing waste pipe. (But close to the wall)
Question. Can you comfortably sit on the virtual toilet? I am thinking that it will be too close to the wall (For your left knee) and there is nothing worse than an uncomfortable toilet. :? I might be wrong, but you don't know unless you try, and measuring the toilet will be no use. And, no, you can't move the virtual toilet up a bit, or to the left or right.

But I still say it will not give you enough room, you could even try a virtual shower (Big square of cardboard and put it on the floor put a glass of water on each corner, can you open the door / walk round without knocking over a glass?) You must have the glasses otherwise you can step on a corner, but you can't if there is a real shower there. (Smallest shower base is 36 x 36 inches)

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Chippo1

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by Chippo1 »

Can’t see to much of a problem , although if you fit a close coupled loo I would guess your knees will hit the wall , no lounging and reading a magazine.

Not to much of a problem cutting back the cast iron stack , there have been posts about doing this in recent times. If the toilet will fit directly then a multi quick pan connector will go striaght into the cut pipe , assuming the pan spigot lands up at the right height !

Just a thought, I assume the stack is outside directly through the wall , can you cut the stack out there which would give u many more options , I was thinking of a corner toilet mounted at 45% in the corner ? , but the stack would need some serious modification inside and out.
ahfix

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by ahfix »

You could eliminate the issue by using a saniflow. That would allow you to position the toilet and shower as needed and just connect back into the existing stack.

ah
Someone-Else

Soil stack/moving WC

Post by Someone-Else »

ahfix wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 am using a saniflow.
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. They are renowned for "failing" (Ok, blocked because something that shouldn't went in the toilet) some interesting videos on you tube about them.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”