Kitchen sink still smells after Mr Muscle

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

jc1231
Newly registered Member

Post by jc1231 »

Hello,

I've used Mr Muscle and another sink deodoriser but my sink still smells. I've tried searching on here but to no avail. I've been in my house five years and it's only begun to smell the last couple of months. When I pour water down the sink it drains quickly enough, which rules out a blockage? Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

anything else connected to the the pipe before the U bend under the sink like a washing machine or dishwasher
we are all ------------------still learning
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

On your draining board do you have a separate mini drain for the drawing board that is connected to the waste pipe under the sink? Or even a overflow pipe for the sink bowl?
On our sink the mini drain for the draining board can get smelly if the water in the bend of the pipe doesn’t get flushed through regularly, we just give it a squirt of bleach after pouring fresh water in there to wash any stale water away.
Have a look under the sink and see what waste pipes are there and upload a couple of photos so we can better advise.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
jc1231
Newly registered Member

Post by jc1231 »

Thanks, both.

I don't believe anything else is connected, no. I think the sink pipe just goes directly outside.

Mike,

I don't know about all that stuff. Just Googled to see what you mean but it was no help. There is water is the bend, but I unscrewed the pipe itself to remove the water and gave most of the pipe a scrub, still smells. It smells outside too, where the pipe empties the water outside in to the drain thing. I don't have a camera phone otherwise I 'd post some pics, sorry.
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

Could be nothing to do with the sink or waste pipe, it could be a mouse found a hole to get in and died somewhere under the kitchen cupboard. The only way to eliminate that is to remove the plinths and have a look

Mike
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

jc1231 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 am Mike,

I don't know about all that stuff. Just Googled to see what you mean but it was no help. There is water is the bend, but I unscrewed the pipe itself to remove the water and gave most of the pipe a scrub, still smells.
There must be an overflow to prevent the sink from overflowing if you accidentally left a tap running - it's not unusual for them to smell if they're not cleaned out now and again. They're usually in the draining board with resin sinks or just near the top of the bowl with s/s sinks.
One day it will all be firewood.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Mr Muscle products are primarily de-greasers not deodorisers, so they will shift the gunge but not any smell (Unless it was the gunge that was smelling) and as said, are you sure its the sink, and not something near the sink?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
jc1231
Newly registered Member

Post by jc1231 »

Thanks, all.

The smell is definitely emanating from the plug hole, no dead mice or such.

I've poured some water down the overlow hole thing that's near the top of the bowl, but the plug still smells.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

jc1231 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 am I've poured some water down the overlow hole thing that's near the top of the bowl, but the plug still smells.
Water won't do much for you if it is the overflow, use thick bleach.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
toolbox (Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
jc1231
Newly registered Member

Post by jc1231 »

Thanks, Ayjay, I'll give that a try.
jc1231
Newly registered Member

Post by jc1231 »

Cheers, fella's, that seemed to do the job :thumbleft:
jc1231
Newly registered Member

Post by jc1231 »

Smell is back, gah! Tried bleach directly in to the sink. Any suggestions? Time to call a plumber?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I don't think its the sink.
People often say the smoke alarm on the ceiling is beeping when in fact its not, its an old one stuffed away in a drawer or on top of a shelf.
My reasoning is, you poured bleach down the overflow, so its not that, water drains freely down the plughole, so its not a blockage.

Can you go outside and have a sniff around where the sink outlet pipe runs to, does it smell there?
I note last time you took the pipe off from under the sink, would you do it again and have a sniff, does it whiff? (don't clean it, don't do anything other than sniff)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

It has been pretty hot recently and standing water in a overflow pipe will go sour quickly so I would pour a bit more bleach down the hole and see if the smell disappears again.
My thinking on this is that Ayjay posted a reply to your post on the 13th and five days later you replied that the smell seemed to have gone. If the smell was anything other than stale water then the smell would not go so quickly.
We put bleach down our overflow pipe once a week to keep it sweet smelling, perhaps you need to keep doing the same.

Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
chrrris (Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:24 am)
Rating: 7.14%
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

Have to agree with London MIke on this. If you put any degree of vegetable matter or meat or fat, or basically anything other than pure tap water down your plug hole, then it's going to smell a bit from time to time. If you open a kitchen sink u-bend in any house in the world, it'll probably be full of biologically active grey slime. It smells from time to time. Especially when it's hot. If the trap is working correctly then whatever you're smelling form the sink is just what's sitting in the trap. Bleach will help to kill it off. As will occasionally pouring boiling water down the plug. Alternatively, we use these in our house https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecozone-Enzyma ... B00E4NMQ8S and they do seem to help. The sticks sit in the pipework while they slowly break down, releasing enzymes which attack the bacteria that are the source of smells.

The simplest test you can do is to undo the kitchen sink trap when you notice a smell. If it's full of water when you undo it, and your plumbing does not have some sort of significant design fault in its layout, then the smells are coming from the contents of the trap.
Haste is the enemy of quality.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”