Airfix models

Please post your money saving posts/ideas in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Duck_Tape

Airfix models

Post by Duck_Tape »

This is a blast back to my childhood, I must have built at least 50 of these Airfix models, from tanks to ships to aeroplanes plus some other ones, back when I was an 8 to 10 year old.
These seem to be coming back in.
I found 3 separate kits in Aldi for £4.99 each (the bin did say limited supply)
They are priced at £9.99 on the official siteas an example of one I bought.

Its a decent stocking filler for kids over 7 to do something their dad or grandad did once upon a time.

The item comes with a tube of glue and some paint, back in my day there were stickers that you needed to soak in water before placing them on the constructed model. That may be a thing of the past.

James
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
dewaltdisney

Re: Airfix models

Post by dewaltdisney »

As a kid I made every Airfix kit I got. I spent hours of enjoyment and it taught me a lot too. Of course in those days the instructions were proper and it would say 'cement propeller to engine nacelle' and 'lay aileron in guide slots before cementing upper and lower wings' Now it is all pictures and numbers.

I remember my dad used to know a guy who was the Revell representative and when he changed his job he dropped off all his demo stock of kits. Shear heaven, there must have been 20 odd kits. I kept them all to myself and made them up over a period of time.

All kits end up going to the kit graveyard of having bullet holes pierced in with red hot wire and then eventually shot too pieces with air guns or set alight with lighter fuel in realistic crash scenes. November saw a lot of mid air explosions as bangers were set off in the planes hanging from the tree in our garden. Looking back I wish I had modern cheap video capability.

Ahh what memories.

DWD
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

dewaltdisney wrote: . November saw a lot of mid air explosions as bangers were set off in the planes hanging from the tree in our garden.

Ahh what memories.

DWD
I think there's a made up Lancaster bomber in the loft somewhere that's my nippers.

I eventually sent all mine down a zip wire from my 1st floor bedroom window, complete with lit banger on board. :lol:
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

This thread brings back memories, i was more in model ship building. I spent 9 months every day building a 18th vintage ship. The masts and rigging were a right bugger to get right taught. Cost an arm and a leg and not to mention the multitude of paints you had to buy

You don't see these type shops around any more.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

I doubt kids these days would have the concentration span to build a kit!
Used to keep me busy for hours building and painting (and yes hanging them from the ceiling) agree you had to read and understand something about what you were making.
I remember building a Honda bike and it took me ages to figure out that "pet cock" was the fuel tap! :lol:
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I wonder if going back in time if Ipads and games consoles were around in the 60's would I have been so absorbed with making kits? I suppose back then TV was largely rubbish for kids and entertainment was more focused on outdoors activities, comics and reading stuff as well as making models.

Looking back at the freedoms and perceived safety I had this is what allowed us to go off and play on our own but even then we stayed away from the rough areas where there would be horrible kids. There lies one difference in that means and social standards set us apart from riff raff and as long as you did not venture into these poorer areas you would largely be okay. That has changed now and parents keep their kids safe by not letting them venture forth and they are quite happy to give kids home entertainment systems as they know they can keep them safe at home. The threats have just changed now and they might be just as vulnerable on the internet by venturing to the wrong places.

I know I had a safe and happy childhood and making model kits will always be a fond memory for me.

DWD
mike10
Newly registered Member

Post by mike10 »

Did anyone else use the Airfix filler?
I swear it is now sold as Gripfill... to me that looks, smells, and feels exactly the same as that filler did.

Return to “Money Saving”