Rufforth bargains.

Please post your money saving posts/ideas in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Retired

Rufforth bargains.

Post by Retired »

Hi,

I've said many times I enjoy once monthly trips to Rufforth Auto Jumble near York. For anyone living near enough to reach Rufforth and who is interested in workshop items I'm happy to post details of a few items I bought. Today is Rufforth day again and I was on site at bang on 7 am. If my chum David can attend we wander around until about 11 am before leaving but I was on my own this morning so concentrated on my wish list.

Inside the big hanger is usually a guy selling top quality aerospace items with a large stall laden with all manner of engineers files and drill bits etc but because I really did want to visit the stall this morning he wasn't there. However a regular guy on an outside stall was there and I spent ages looking through his display of brand new high quality drill bits from the likes of "Dormer". I've been doing a lot of drilling and tapping lately so thought I'd stock up with tapping sizes of drill bits; the only size I couldn't find was 5 mm but here is the list of drill bits I bought;

4.20 mm x 10.

4.90 mm x 10.

6.60 mm x 10.

8.40 mm x 10.

13/32" x 5.

All are top quality and to buy retail will bring tears to the eyes of a Yorkshireman like me but the lot only cost me £35 making them an absolute bargain. I've just checked eBay random prices and a clip is included below showing top quality Presto 8.40 mm bits at £54.90 inc. (for ten). Another seller has 13/32" bits on eBay at £2.99 for one.

I also bought a full 100 yard roll of white round 3 core 1.5 mm cable this too costing £35. A brand new small step up platform for £15; the guy had a van load of these. I wanted a piece of flat steel or aluminium to make a throat plate for my new saw bench from; inside the big hanger a stall sells lots of such materials and WOW I got a perfect piece of 4mm thick Dural of the right size for just a fiver; I was well pleased to pick this up.

I came away about £100 lighter in the pocket but with real value for my money. I was back home by 9.05 am and the only thing I couldn't find which I wanted was 5.00 mm drill bits but I did buy a ten pack of 4.90 bits which will do so all in all an excellent outing and it remained dry whilst I was there only running into rain on the way home.

Just a little story for a bit of interest. :cheers:

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2637.JPG
DSCN2637.JPG (165.49 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
DSCN2638.JPG
DSCN2638.JPG (135.27 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
DSCN2639.JPG
DSCN2639.JPG (170.7 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
Drill bits.JPG
Drill bits.JPG (128.4 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
These users thanked the author Retired for the post:
the artfull-codger
Rating: 7.14%
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
Rorschach

Re: Rufforth bargains.

Post by Rorschach »

Jealous that you have such a great place to go shopping.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Retired
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Nice one Colin! Love a tool bargain!
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Retired
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Nice one Col! :thumbright:
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Retired
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

A got the heads up on a b&q pricing error from a dewalt group online. Heavy duty impact wrench,2x 5ah 18v batteries,charger and case for £161(normally around £370)
A lot of folk took advantage over 2/3 days at the tradepoint counter and I tried on Friday and they'd cottoned on to it :cb .....just my luck!!
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Retired
AAA.Handy.Man
BANNED

Post by AAA.Handy.Man »

Congratulations, Col.
I've only been to that sale once - a couple of years ago.
I didn't arrive there until about the time that you're usually leaving which is probably the reason why I found little of interest and certainly nothing presenting as great a deal as you've struck.
The early bird gets the worm-gear, not to mention all the other bargains.... :thumbleft: :thumbright:
These users thanked the author AAA.Handy.Man for the post:
Retired
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

steviejoiner74 wrote:A got the heads up on a b&q pricing error from a dewalt group online. Heavy duty impact wrench,2x 5ah 18v batteries,charger and case for £161(normally around £370)
A lot of folk took advantage over 2/3 days at the tradepoint counter and I tried on Friday and they'd cottoned on to it :cb .....just my luck!!
I received a Tradepoint email the other day stating their Tstak toolbox was £20 but when I went into the website it was £33. I spent a couple of minutes sending an 'I'm so outraged' email to their CEO and they've sent me a £20 voucher so it cost me £13. It pays to complain and believe me I'm thinking about making a profession out of it :lol:

Greggs sent me a £20 code last week because their phone app crashed a few weeks back and I complained. Free lunches all week :thumbright:
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post (total 2):
steviejoiner74Retired
Rating: 14.29%
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Argyll wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:A got the heads up on a b&q pricing error from a dewalt group online. Heavy duty impact wrench,2x 5ah 18v batteries,charger and case for £161(normally around £370)
I received a Tradepoint email the other day stating their Tstak toolbox was £20 but when I went into the website it was £33. I spent a couple of minutes sending an 'I'm so outraged' email to their CEO and they've sent me a £20 voucher so it cost me £13. It pays to complain and believe me I'm thinking about making a profession out of it :lol:

Greggs sent me a £20 code last week because their phone app crashed a few weeks back and I complained. Free lunches all week :thumbright:
Nice1!!,if you're on Facebook then the dewalt group is great. Loads of offers,tips etc and a closed group without the usual Facebook pish.
Btw I'm getting addicted to t-stak boxes :lol:
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post (total 2):
ArgyllRetired
Rating: 14.29%
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

No Stevie I left Facebook a while back because of all the pointless arguing about stuff either side wouldn't budge on. Twitter isn't bad though. Do they have a Twitter page?
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Argyll wrote:No Stevie I left Facebook a while back because of all the pointless arguing about stuff either side wouldn't budge on. Twitter isn't bad though. Do they have a Twitter page?
I'm not on Twitter mate. I signed up but couldn't get the hang of it. The closed groups are great on Facebook tho,any p*ssing about and you're banned. The dewalt group is really good tho.
fin

Post by fin »

im on that dewalt group and the other trade related groups too. i tried to join the sparkies group just to see what the craik was but the helmets wouldnt let me in.

col, some canny stuff there. shame its a weee bit far to get. unless i wanted to leave mine at 5am like haha
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
Retired
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I ended up getting the box for nothing as the guy was having bother entering the code into the tradepoint website. The problem is they delivered the wrong box :roll:
the artfull-codger
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by the artfull-codger »

Hi Col,
Going to rufforth on sat? I go every month with my brother,we only live 30 odd miles down the a19 from there, it used to be really good years ago but not so good now,BUT we allways go as there's allways that chance of a "scoop", we also go to scorton which is just a few miles from us,it's not as big as rufforth but it's still worth going to.
Graham.
camallison

Post by camallison »

the artfull-codger wrote:Hi Col,
Going to rufforth on sat? I go every month with my brother,we only live 30 odd miles down the a19 from there, it used to be really good years ago but not so good now,BUT we allways go as there's allways that chance of a "scoop", we also go to scorton which is just a few miles from us,it's not as big as rufforth but it's still worth going to.
Graham.
When's the next Scorton one and what time? I live in Yarm, only a stones throw away.

Colin
ayjay

Rufforth bargains.

Post by ayjay »

17th June.

Dead link removed by Admin 25/01/2021
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
camallison
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “Money Saving”