Aldi.

Please post your money saving posts/ideas in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Re: Aldi.

Post by kellys_eye »

Retired wrote:our local Morrison's has just undergone a huge interior makeover with new layouts;

https://my.morrisons.com/storefinder/#!/79

Compare this to the much newer but more scruffy Aldi in Waterloo.

Kind regards, Col.
I don't visit supermarkets for the 'shopping experience' - their decoration has to, ultimately, be paid for by jacking it onto the price of the goods we pay for. And it shows. It may not amount to much - pennies on goods - but that's the difference between the Aldi's/Lidl's of the world when it boils down to it, pennies.

But for some people it's the pennies that make the difference - they add up. Even ourselves, not exactly 'poor' by any stretch of the imagination but we see a substantial difference in a weekly shop comparing Aldi to Tesco and if that means buying stuff from a 'jumble sale' rather than someone 'living room' then it's a decision that's easily made.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
Retired
Rating: 7.14%
Don't take it personally......
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks k_e; I still shop at Aldi but these days only for certain items like fresh Soya which is a huge saving over Morrison's but over the last few months quite a few veg/fresh fruit items I've bought at Aldi having glanced at them in store then found them to be bad once home; this is a very expensive way to shop so now I pay the bit extra and buy from Morrison's. It's difficult to stand still in our local Aldi because someone always wants the space I'm standing on. There's no doubt our local Aldi has hit Morrison's profits hard. I've noticed Morrison's now supply the frozen veg in clear plastic bags which is a good idea.

I'm not too fussed either regarding how the supermarkets look but I would prefer a neat and tidy supermarket over a scruffy supermarket. I alway take along a wish list in store order so I'm more interested in getting in and out of the supermarkets quickly and without impulse buying. Locally we have a very good choice of supermarkets but I've never been keen on either Tesco or Asda.

I've reached the conclusion that cheap usually is cheap but there are exceptions such as the fresh soya; it pays to shop around but it also pays to be careful.

Kind regards, Col.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Aldi was trying a new idea out this morning at 8 o'clock when I visited to save customers money. A store assistant came out of the exit door apologising saying the entry doors could not be opened and that the tills were also down unable to estimate when the store would be open. :cb

I popped into nearby Home Bargains and returned to Aldi about 15 minutes later to find Aldi now open for business. I'll never trust electronics and find chalk and slate still reliable. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
UltimateCandyman
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by UltimateCandyman »

Aldi is fine if you are unemployed or retired. The queues are too long, the brands are not "proper", there are very few staff - so can rarely get any assistance. They "open" a till 3 or 4 minutes before a member of staff gets there. I sometimes pop in as they are near my place of work, without a mainstream store within a couple of miles.

Aldi, and to a lesser extent, Lidl, reminds me of going shopping with my mum (in the 60's) to Fine Fare, and another one whose name escapes. Stacks of product in the cardboard cartons, cut open.

Having said that, I hate going to our local Asda as it s on a retail park, and takes an age to park, and to exit the developement. We actually tend to use a specific neighbourhood Co-Op. But we try to use independant traders
These users thanked the author UltimateCandyman for the post:
Retired
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Money Saving”