Buying new steel.

Please post your money saving posts/ideas in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Retired

Buying new steel.

Post by Retired »

Hi,

As posted in another thread I'm currently busy installing a new decking to the bungalow front above the garage; I bought the heavy steel from our local scrapyard saving a fortune but now I need smaller hollow section steel to make the new railings of.

http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/

I've just ordered and paid for the new steel from the company at the link above;

4 lengths of 20mm x 20mm x 2.5mm #3005202025

1 length of 50mm x 50mm x 3mm #300550503

Including £10 delivery charge and VAT the total bill is only £84.19. I'm well pleased with this.

What a huge steel company Brundles are; wrought iron and components are a speciality with a vast choice of style and pattern. I'm making four simple panels which involves cutting and welding but I'll post about this as work in progress when the steel arrives. The 20mm is for the panels the 50mm for the posts. Let's see wood rot attack this when erected?

Hope this is of interest.

Kind regards, Col.
These users thanked the author Retired for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
kellys_eye

Re: Buying new steel.

Post by kellys_eye »

Can't comment on the prices Col as I'm not familiar with the current status but I hope that was for 'British' steel??? It would be atravesty to have paid over the odds only to find it was cheap imported Chinese stuff fobbed off as British???

We need to support our own producers where we can. Even if it costs slightly more.

:thumbright:
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
Retired
Don't take it personally......
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Thanks Col! Duly bookmarked for future reference! :thumbright:
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Retired
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Unfortunately k_e it's now difficult to buy anything made in Britain because we make so little; I thought the government had recently let British Steel go the way of the rest of our industry? :cb

You're most welcome Dave54; I can update now because wherever the steel was made it's now with me and what brilliant service; I expected an email giving a delivery date but the wagon arrived this afternoon with a very helpful and chatty driver; we had to place the steel on the path because at around 26' long the five lengths were too long for the garage; I've now used the angle grinder to reduce the lengths so the steel is safely in the garage now; I'm very impressed because it looks good stuff; it's very clean and oiled making it a lot different to the heavy rusty steel I bought at the scrapyard. Next time I want to make a bench I'll use hollow section steel for the framework and weld it. I'm delighted with the speed of delivery also I'm happy with what I was charged so I'll be a returning customer. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.
These users thanked the author Retired for the post:
Dave54
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

The picture below shows the new steel in the garage; very good value indeed. I'm now looking into my options in cutting it accurately to length; I wonder if I can convert my big angle grinder into a steel chop off saw by making an hinged frame; many of these are shown on YouTube; I don't mind cutting with an hacksaw but not on this amount of material.

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2085.JPG
DSCN2085.JPG (160.03 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It is so refreshing when you get good service like that Colin. Like us all, I have bought loads of stuff off the internet and by and large it has worked out well. I always share my contacts when a thread crops up where I think it might help.

Walls and Floors were a good firm I recall. I ordered a load of tiles which were a really good price compared to tw*ts Tiles and they delivered the next day with their own van and driver who lugged them all into my garage and waited while I checked them over. They came from Kettering so it was a fair jog down to me. And that is just one instance.

I ordered a shed from a place in Kent and the next morning when I got up at seven a truck was in my drive. I pulled on some clothes and went out to him and he said he had come early to avoid the tunnel queues but did not want to knock until 8am. I had only ordered it at 3pm the previous day. Naturally, I gave him a cuppa and some toast before he went on his way.

This might be good as a separate thread topic?

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Retired

Return to “Money Saving”