Scrooge Factor

Please post your money saving posts/ideas in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

JPS3691
Newly registered Member

Scrooge Factor

Post by JPS3691 »

Below is a list of my money saving tips

1) Don't buy it if you don't really need it
2) Don't smoke
3) Don't drink
4) Reuse where possible
5) Always ask the owners permission if they have a skip outside and there is stuff available to be recycled, upcycled or downcycled - wood, metal etc
6) Don't buy newspapers
7) Don't run a car / van UNLESS it is necessary for your job (savings on Tax, Insurance, Fuel Costs, Washing & Valeting)
8) Don't get involved in rounds at the pub
9) Don't buy new books - always go second hand or use the local library
10) Don't watch television - save the electric for something more worthwhile like operating Power Tools
11) Don't buy DVD's brand new - wait a few weeks/months until they go into the under £5 aisle or your DVD/Game Exchange shop
12) Pick up any coins you see in the street
Argyll

Re: Scrooge Factor

Post by Argyll »

Don't use the internet - save the electric for something more worthwhile like operating Power Tools
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
JPS3691
Rating: 7.14%
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

It probably works: I've done many of those things. I can remember being hard-up, if not actually poor.

The difficulty now is learning how to spend money - we actually use about 55% of our monthly retirement income which leaves a sizeable chunk over at the end of the month. Twenty or thirty pounds is almost an irrelevance but I still think hard before parting with it.

Old habits and all that.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post (total 2):
RetiredJPS3691
Rating: 14.29%
One day it will all be firewood.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Not really sure if there's going to be any point in 'saving' money if the worlds economy keeps heading in the current direction - it'll all be worthless paper before too long!

But learning to cope WITHOUT an income - now that's something we could all do with!

Just as a thinking exercise, image how [you] would cope if you had zero access to hard, transferable cash and had to rely on recycling or even bartering.....

How quickly would your world collapse around you?
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
JPS3691
Don't take it personally......
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

1. live well within your means
2. If you want something you save for it, you will enjoy the item more knowing that you have earned it
3.£3-4 quid and self control - means you haven't got a £2-300k to pay out over the next 18+ years
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
JPS3691
JPS3691
Newly registered Member

Post by JPS3691 »

Argyll - another good choice
ayjay - I can agree with that - although £20-£30 seems like a luxury to me at the moment
kellys_eye - I think having adapted enough of the years I could manage - in fact not having had my heating on the house in over 8 years has save me money but not in a tangible I have money in the bank kind of way
flash22 - No 1/common sense (some people though don't seem to have enough of it) No 2 /that I can definitely appreciate - No 3/that amount would definitely kit out my workshop beautifully - in fact with that amount I could move to a place with a larger garage and I'd still have change

I wish I had actively started saving the money after I quit smoking in 1997 I'd be sitting on nearly £50k+.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

JPS3691 wrote:Below is a list of my money saving tips

1) Don't buy it if you don't really need it
2) Don't smoke
3) Don't drink
4) Reuse where possible
5) Always ask the owners permission if they have a skip outside and there is stuff available to be recycled, upcycled or downcycled - wood, metal etc
6) Don't buy newspapers
7) Don't run a car / van UNLESS it is necessary for your job (savings on Tax, Insurance, Fuel Costs, Washing & Valeting)
8) Don't get involved in rounds at the pub
9) Don't buy new books - always go second hand or use the local library
10) Don't watch television - save the electric for something more worthwhile like operating Power Tools
11) Don't buy DVD's brand new - wait a few weeks/months until they go into the under £5 aisle or your DVD/Game Exchange shop
12) Pick up any coins you see in the street
with respect most are not actually "money saving tips" rather than abstinence which we do not need pointing out :lol:
"money saving tips" involve education information good suggestions allowing us to do exactly what we do now but with reduced costs
anything else that involved adapting routine or life style doesn't count as we know that anyway if we have even the smallest number off brain cells :scratch:
we are all ------------------still learning
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

To be honest it sounds like a recipe for a sort of purgatory to me, and I'm hardly the last of the big spenders!

No car? It's a long walk to anywhere from here, and public transport is a joke!
No heating? It gets bloody cold in the Winter even down here.

I do, or have done most of the other things at one time or another, and I never spend money I haven't got, or "live beyond my means" but I like my comfort as well! :-)
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Retired

Return to “Money Saving”