Upcycling

Please post your money saving posts/ideas in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Upcycling

Post by kellys_eye »

I've been into up-cycling for years - I call it being 'socially responsible', Mrs k_e says it's because I'm a tightwad (correct answer :mrgreen: ) - but between us we've managed to find some 'gems' from all sorts of places.

The most recent bargain was spotting a generator at the local dump - it was in the area where they tend to re-sell stuff but was also 'untested' and a bit of a risk - for the princely sum of a tenner :shock: I thought I'd give it a shot and chucked it in the back of the SUV.

Now that I've had a look at it I found the ONLY reason it was chucked was the fuel cock (giggidy) was snapped off flush with the bottom of the tank. When I tried to drill the broken bit out it just wound itself INTO the tank and was shaken free thereafter. A new stopcock cost me £5........

Giving the rest of the unit the once-over I checked the brushes (lots of life left in them) and the alternator windings (no discolouration so not overloaded at any time). The rest of it was surface rust that a brush and a bit of Hammerite enamel will fix.

A 6kW petrol genny for £15+paint........... :shock: OK, I won't be using it to power my business (those that know will understand this) but as a standby/portable unit for field work you can't go wrong!

Right - what have you managed to up-cycle and can you beat this bargain? Pics a little later.......
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....
Cannyfixit

Upcycling

Post by Cannyfixit »

About three years ago The guy parked near me at the tip was chucking a 25lt air compressor, he said it was leaking from the safety valve so bought himself a new one
When I got it home and cleaned all the dirt and paint splatter off it The date on the label was 2015 so 2 years old :roll:
new relief valve was a tenner off eBay
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
kellys_eye

Upcycling

Post by kellys_eye »

Nice catch....

Since fixing this genny I re-checked the brushes to find one of them 'loose' (the brushes work but one has come away from it's braided wire and is only connected by pressure from the spring - not the ideal situation) so I've ordered spare sets, 2 sets for £8, and even a spare AVR for £6...... always nice to keep some spares on hand and at those prices it's daft not to.
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....
Rorschach

Upcycling

Post by Rorschach »

I've had some good boot sale bargains but never picked up something "broken" that was an easy fix like you chaps describe. Maybe I might have better luck if our tip allowed buying/selling.
dewaltdisney

Upcycling

Post by dewaltdisney »

My chipper engine that I replaced when I damaged it with a jam caused by a loose blade would be an ideal bench project for someone. I suspect big end damage as it turns freely for 3/4 of a cycle and then very stiff for the final part. As the engine is only six months old and done around 15 hours it will be a good handy engine if made to run again. It still looks brand new. I cannot face dumping it so can anyone advise on where I can advertise it or ideas on how to find it a home?

DWD
Grendel

Upcycling

Post by Grendel »

My father worked at the local tip and barely a day went by without him bringing something home. Electric mowers with little more than a fuse gone , vacuums with blocked hoses , bikes with punctures and so on. The henry hoover i have in the van is one that came from someone throwing it away "because they didn't need two" . Needed a good clean out as she was a heavy smoker. Another henry in the workshop came from a skip with just a lump of carpet in the hose. Recently a customer asked me if i wanted a n sds breaker , it wasn't working he said and would be going to the tip. Turned out to be a broken cable in the lead. It came with drill bits , chisels and a chuck adapter and it was clear what had happened. The bits fit in a separate plastic holder in the case and it sits in a position that bends the lead where it enters the tool and that was where the break was.
Chippo1

Upcycling

Post by Chippo1 »

Atco 16inch rear roller mower from free cycle , difficult to start , sorted the carb gasket to make the primer bulb work bingo , free.

Friend was putting Honda rear roller self propelled mover in skip, mower repair man said it was kaput , turned out only problem was the drive chain was rusted solid, freed up and lubed sorted. New air filter and fresh petrol , it’s the nuts.

They were also throwing a Husqvarna Strimmer in skip , not starting only needed fresh petrol ! Also declared kaput by their repair man.

Needless to say having bought a new Hayter mower five years ago when the Honda one was condemned , they now don’t use the same man to service their mower !
kellys_eye

Upcycling

Post by kellys_eye »

I think it illustrates both a lack of understanding on how to recognise faults and a similar lack of the skills required to make even basic repairs. A sad reflection of the times.

Whilst I suspect manufacturers are building things to a specific (and short) lifespan the most useful and repairable upcycling items have always been 'older' equipment that were built to last (no pun intended) and might still have accessible workshop manuals.

There's a 'thing' going on now about 'right to repair' with legal cases being made against manufacturers that deliberately create goods that 3rd parties can't fix and, no surprise, Apple are one of the worse culprits. No wonder 'antique' (and in this case antique can mean as little as 20 years old) stuff is getting popular.
Dave54

Upcycling

Post by Dave54 »

The Raleigh pushbike I rode for years came from the tip.
Couple of tyres, and a good fettling and it rode well. Cables were probably original and were fine after oiling!

I've got lots of small hand tools and stuff that's old though. A lot of my woodworking hand tools came from boot sales, or bought from dealers S/H. Drill press is an old American Walker Turner I inherited, and so on.
I always at least try to repair stuff rather than binning it.

Annoys me when stuff is obviously meant to be binned rather than fixed.

Return to “Money Saving”