Penetrating damp, possible causes and solutions?

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Cassas00
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Penetrating damp, possible causes and solutions?

Post by Cassas00 »

Occasionally I notice the ends of three floorboards get a little damp in the first floor bedroom. Also a puddle directly underneath this area in the kitchen. Not always when it rains, just occasionally. Must run from the bedroom behind the dot and dab and come out the bottom in the kitchen floor.

It was much worse during yesterday's storm Ciara. I took the floorboards up and I could see the inside of the wall was wet. These floorboards were longer than the rest, right up against the wall, which is why they showed the dampness. Walls are 9 inch solid brick.

At first I thought it could be the flashing between the extension and the main house, as it's between the window and bedroom floor, but then thought that would show in the utility room directly below, so the outside wall of the main house, but it's showing inside of the main house. So now I think it may be the window or render.

I also noticed an old coaxial cable coming through the window that's not sealed, when I pushed the wire further out from the inside it looked wet, though that's the right side of the window, not the left where the wet boards are.

I am replacing the windows at the end of February, and rendering is being done in march.

I have attached some photos.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Is it worth getting that flashing replaced with lead that's chased into the wall rather than that flash band stuff?

Get some exterior waterproof sealant and just go over the window and sill,as and maybe some cracks, a temp measure until windows and rendering is sorted?

Could there be any other causes?
Attachments
IMAG2905~2.jpg
IMAG2905~2.jpg (122.42 KiB) Viewed 920 times
IMAG2917~2.jpg
IMAG2917~2.jpg (121.85 KiB) Viewed 920 times
IMAG2912~2.jpg
IMAG2912~2.jpg (119.09 KiB) Viewed 920 times

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”