HELP LARGE CRACK UNDER EXTERNAL TILING

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Alif
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alif »

Hi, bought a house built early 1900’s, after some renovating I noticed a puddle under the floorboards at the front of the house, I think I’ve found the cause (large crack under external floor tiling) however I have no idea how to tackle the issue! Is digging the floor up and refilling with cement the best option? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Alif
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alif »

Floor crack
Floor crack
91624223-86C0-4A6B-A49E-EB38D6E8C438.jpeg (525.08 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
Firewatcher
Newly registered Member

Post by Firewatcher »

I wouldn't jump to conclusion on this being the source of the water under the floor. Unless the fall on the external tiling actually channels the water into the crack it would take a considerable amount to result in a puddle inside the house. It looks like those are laid on a modern cement base/adhesive rather than an original lime mortar bed - suggests they have been up before.
Have a look at the surface water drains in the vicinity, if the old earthenware type, a cracked pipe or damaged/blocked gully might be the culprit. Also worth checking any pipework for leaks.
Better to just stop up with a waterproof sealant until you are sure of the cause.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”