Damp headache

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

DRG
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Damp headache

Post by DRG »

Hi everyone

I am hoping you may be able to help. We have a 1930s house and have damp over the doorway and down the internal corner of what is now a small utility room but which was actually some kind of outside loo. We think most of this is caused by the lack of tray above the door as most of the problem is obviously gravity fed. The back of the house faces south so it gets a battering from the weather

Anyway that is the intro. Alongside this the Westerly corner pointing was falling to bits so I have started repointing this corner. While doing so I removed and replaced a couple of bricks and this allowed me to look inside the cavity.

We have wall flocking insulation which no doubt made it worse and was able to rake some of this out, it was wet. I also removed debris in the cavity from the corner.

However, what surprised me was that the ground in the cavity seems to be just dirt, I was able to get my hand in and stuck a 4inch screwdriver right through it.

Cut a long story short. My questions are...

1)Is what I had in the cavity normal?

2) after the rain yesterday a damp patch appeared under the window exactly in part of the area I excavated and repointed about a foot up the wall, how is that even possible?!

Cheers!
wine~o

Damp headache

Post by wine~o »

point 2 having removed the wet insulation and re pointed outside some damp will be trapped within both the inner and outer wall, it now needs somewhere to go which is why you have the damp patch.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
DRG (Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:34 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”