Advice please on injecting a damp proof course

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

glassescase

Post by glassescase »

Assuming the ground outside is lowered to below the floor level and the cavity wall is not blocked, is injecting a damp proof course the way to go?
I have been told the existing damp proof course is bitumen but I have no idea.

The cynic in me says injection a damp proof course wont work but I would appreciate advice.

thank you
wes56

Post by wes56 »

whats the problem?
you could post pics of inside and outside the walls and ground level where it might be too high?
glassescase

Post by glassescase »

sorry this is my daughters house some 200 miles away. I will ask her for pictures but it may be a day or two as she is not living there.
wes56, you I guess have thoughts based on you asking, what are they and I can ask her.

glassescase
Surveyorman
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Surveyorman »

Injecting a damp proof course should only be considered if A. You are in fact experiencing rising damp which is not as common as some damp proofing contractors will have you believe and B. All other possible causes of ingress (Bridging, penetrating damp, condensation, wicking) have been investigated and repaired. Try to find out how old the property is. If it was built post 1875 then it will almost certainly have an original damp proof course that can be relieved therefore damp proof injection will not be necessary. Assuming the property is in fact built after 1875 then you will need to locate the level of the DPC. This may involve digging a trial hole at the base of the external walls and /or chipping away some external render if present. Once located, ensure that external ground levels are reduced to at least 150mm below the level of the DPC. This will depressurise it and allow it to function as originally intended. There are other factors to consider though: if the ground levels have been bridging the DPC for a period of time then some internal Re plastering maybe necessary in order to remove hygroscopic salts. I would however hazard a guess that injection a damp proof course will NOT be necessary. Let us know the results of your findings.
These users thanked the author Surveyorman for the post:
glassescase (Sun May 24, 2020 8:01 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”