Damp issues internal wall, Victorian house

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Monkeypaw
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Monkeypaw »

I recently moved in to a Victorian house, stupidly only went with a home buyer's report, on key collection I've noticed substantial damp on one downstairs wall, and the bedroom directly above (the damp seems to be in alignment).

I've talked to some friends in the trade and they suspect it could need repointing, that rain water is making its way through the brickwork. I've attached some pictures to give and idea, and if anyone recognises the problem and how likely it is to be successfully treated. The painting paper is coming away, feels damp and the plaster somewhat spongy.

The area is perpendicular to the kitchen wall, so the damp patch is offset from the external wall, where the window is.
Attachments
First floor
First floor
IMG_20200219_181443.jpg (91.96 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
First floor
First floor
IMG_20200219_181429.jpg (76.27 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
First floor
First floor
IMG_20200219_181426.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Second floor
Second floor
IMG_20200219_181317.jpg (148.2 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

Hi,

First step is check all the guttering is intact and not leaking or dripping on the wall. This is really common. Pictures of the outside would help. Also, is the downstairs room damp at the top of the wall, or the bottom?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You need to check systematically to find the source before remedial action can be taken. Victorian houses were built with solid bonded brick walls with no cavity and also the damp course is made from slate. Firstly check outside to make sure nothing is affecting the damp area like a blocked or damaged gutters or earth banked over the damp course. If you can spot the problem and rectify it than the wall will dry out so you can fix the decoration.

If it is a damp course breech it can be fixed using an injection method, not expensive if you DIY. Have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irytqcJZSps&t=12s to give you an idea

DWD
Monkeypaw
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Monkeypaw »

Thanks chaps, the damp seems middle of the wall on first floor, seems dry from the flooring up, on the second floor directly above it's at the bottom near the radiator as can be seen, might be coincidental with the alignment but it "feels" related, to me, a layman.

dewaltdisney, thanks for the video, that guy does some cracking videos.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”