Damp On Wall

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

mikedry
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Damp On Wall

Post by mikedry »

Hi

I have alot of mould on the external wall at our front door. The plaster is laid directly on to the external brickwork. This is the only wall in the house that this happens and all the others are fine.
Can anyone recommend what to put up to remedy this. Lining paper? Damp proof paint? or is their any special materials that would fix this...

Many Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20201122_113859251.jpg
IMG_20201122_113859251.jpg (540.28 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
IMG_20201122_113925215.jpg
IMG_20201122_113925215.jpg (549.93 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
yartin

Damp On Wall

Post by yartin »

I think the mould is due to lack of ventilation in that area of the house, opening windows, install wall vents and a bit of heating in winter days help,, also too much furniture... etc doesn't help and keep them 1 inch away from walls.
I would wash with sponge soap warm water, if doesn't come out try mould remover similar to this https://www.diy.com/departments/hg-moul ... 829_BQ.prd , wait for wall to dry, sand 120g and paint with anti mould paint (I have used Dulux bathroom paint and Zinsser perma white with great success). Nothing much to worry about IMO but don't neglect it.
mikedry
Newly registered Member

Damp On Wall

Post by mikedry »

Great thanks for the advice
Argyll

Damp On Wall

Post by Argyll »

A dehumidifier would help. You can pick up a cheap one on Gumtree/Facebook marketplace.
Ken010
Newly registered Member

Damp On Wall

Post by Ken010 »

Black spots tend to indicate Condensation rather than penetrating damp.

Do you have access to a fan? if not can you borrow one? and point the fan at the offending wall, the air flow will assist in moving a large volume of air past the damp walls surfaces.

Ken.
Advanceddamp
Newly registered Member

Damp On Wall

Post by Advanceddamp »

I would agree. This is most definitely caused by condensation. To remove the mould I would advise getting a mould killer spray (Wix, B&Q). Once you have removed the spray you can apply a anti-mould paint.

To stop any further condensation issues from appearing, you need to minimise the amount of moisture within the property:

1. Keep your windows open as regularly as possible.
2. Check your vents or air bricks to ensure that they are clear.
3. Dry clothes outside if possible.
4. Make use of extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
5. Try to leave a gap of at least 100mm between furniture and the wall surface in order to allow circulation.

Hope this helps.
wes56

Damp On Wall

Post by wes56 »

Is the wall solid or cavity, is the floor solid or suspended?
can you post a photo of the outside of the wall?and a photo of the skirting boards and floor in the corner. do you have carpet or vinyl flooring

for the time being remove all pictures and furniture from the room.
Advanceddamp
Newly registered Member

Damp On Wall

Post by Advanceddamp »

The mould is due to bad condensation and lack of airflow in the property. You can treat it quite easily but without proper control and prevention, it will just reappear. The first step would be to buy a dehumidifier and make sure windows are always open for a period of each day, especially when cooking, and showering. To remove the mould you can use DIY mould killers and sanitiser sprays. To further help prevent it from coming back, also the use of anti-condensation paint is helpful.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”