Cladding a single-skin brick garage with penetrating damp

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

DesmondCoin
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DesmondCoin »

Hello.

This seems to be a very common theme but I'm going around in circles trying to get an answer to my specific situation from reading responses to other people's posts so I thought it worth posting my own question.

In the two years that I've been using my garage as a workshop I've noticed a bir of penetrating damp when we get heavy rain. The garage was built around 25 years ago by the previous owner (who wasn't a bricklayer) so the alignment of brickwork in places is the main cause of the damp.

I am very kean to clad the inside walls of the garage with insulated plasterboard or OSB + insulation as means of taking the chill out of there and providing a little bit of soundproofing. I have a small oil filled heater that I intend on using in there also.

Obviously I don't want to be installing any cladding to the interior walls without doing something about the damp. So I'm seeking advice on the best way to proceed.

My plan was to wait until the spring to paint the exterior brickwork with Stormdry. Then to clad the internal walls, can anyone advise whether this would be a suitable course of action?

In an ideal world I would clad the external walls with timber cladding + insulation or something that totally takes the poor brickwork out of the equation but I haven't really got the budget to do both inside and outside.

Appreciate any advice that anyone might have.
El carajillo
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by El carajillo »

An alternative would be to treat the inside brickwork with SYNTHAPRUFE allow to thoroughly dry then fix your battens.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”