Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

TheRealCookie
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Paint(washing) wooden walls

Post by TheRealCookie »

We have internal Pine walls that the wife would like painted but wants to keep the grain effect. I have been on a few websites and understand the concept of mixing paint with water, brushing, then wiping but what is not clear is the best type of paint to use? White looks ok but the the wife would ideally like more options if at all possible but obviously paint type dictates what they are.

Cheers
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You need to thoroughly degrease it and meths is good for this. See my tag below about using BIN paint in this situation. You can get any colour you want mixed up with the Johnstones paint.

DWD
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

TheRealCookie wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:51 pm We have internal Pine walls that the wife would like painted but wants to keep the grain effect.
:welcomeuhm:

Is the wood varnished, stained or similar or is it raw wood (could it be waxed?)?

Then there are two ways of seeing the grain. a) in a tactile sort of way, you can feel the grain and see it if you do not sand it and you do not blast it with multiple coats of paint. b) in a semi transparent way as for example in distress painting etc.

What is it she wants? (a) will require a lot of labour (really a LOT) and you may not achieve much as the chances are you pine will be pretty smooth; (b) I don't have a clue what to suggest.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

If the walls are that extensive, I would pull it all off and plasterboard it for a conventional finish. That sort of pine cladding is very old hat now and it would add value rather than detracting by replacing it. Also when it is removed you might find a conventional wall underneath that can be skimmed in plaster to be made good. Any photos, it is hard to give advice guessing what it looks like?

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
OchAye (Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”