sanding dust

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

finest1

sanding dust

Post by finest1 »

hi all,

not sure if this the right category

I am wall prepping for painting the walls in the house. I've had to do some plaster repair. when sanding, what tips can you give me to reduce or eliminate dust?

I've been experimenting with different methods:

aluminium oxide with sanding tool. this produced dust that fell to the floor. obviously its manual labour

sandpaper with sanding tool: this did produce dust falling to the floor but also airborne. not as efficient as AO

palm sander: quick, very low manual labour, however the messiest of them all. sprayed fine dust everywhere, regardless of its little box at the back.

clean up is time consuming. and also we are living in that airborne dust.

is there any methods I can use to reduce or eliminate the dust?

thanks
OchAye

sanding dust

Post by OchAye »

Electric sander e.g. https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bo371 ... 240v/6330j. The bag is OK but it is much better if you improvise and connect it up to a vacuum cleaner. Check other sanders that may come with attachments to make it easier to connect them to a vacuum. The trick is that you must use specific papers with holes for suction to work and cheap papers are just that, cheap.

There are more expensive solutions... :-(

===
In my case I had to use a narrow pipe that fitted the outlet of the makita, connect it to the vacuum's pipe (Hoover aquamaster before they went bust). If I was doing it again I would probably use the pipes that are used for plumbing pond pumps as they are more flexible than whatever I used.
finest1

sanding dust

Post by finest1 »

OchAye wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 pm Electric sander e.g. https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bo371 ... 240v/6330j. The bag is OK but it is much better if you improvise and connect it up to a vacuum cleaner. Check other sanders that may come with attachments to make it easier to connect them to a vacuum. The trick is that you must use specific papers with holes for suction to work and cheap papers are just that, cheap.

===
In my case I had to use a narrow pipe that fitted the outlet of the makita, connect it to the vacuum's pipe (Hoover aquamaster before they went bust). If I was doing it again I would probably use the pipes that are used for plumbing pond pumps as they are more flexible than whatever I used.
thanks, i'll check them out. I've only got a section of wall to sand, would the Makita with the bag not be enough? is the bag reusable?
Rorschach

sanding dust

Post by Rorschach »

Electric sander, vacuum and abranet sanding discs. Zero dust.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Have Brush Will Travel (Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
finest1

sanding dust

Post by finest1 »

ive got a bosch PSM 100. its got a micro filter collector at the back. apparently its supposed to collect dust but not let it return back out. however, when I use it, yes it collects some dust, but dust comes out the side of the vents causing a mess! it does have a dust extractor port at the back. im wondering why it does this, and if I get a connector and hose, would it still expel dust in the air?

https://www.bosch-do-it.com/gb/en/diy/t ... 199909.jsp
OchAye

sanding dust

Post by OchAye »

finest1 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:09 pm thanks, i'll check them out. I've only got a section of wall to sand, would the Makita with the bag not be enough? is the bag reusable?
The bag has a zip to empty it so yes it is reusable but you depend on the vacuum provided by the sander. If as you say, you only have one small bit to do would it not be easier to get it done in one go and then spend your time cleaning whatever happened? In which case I would choose hand sanding as you will blow less dust about.
finest1

sanding dust

Post by finest1 »

OchAye wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:32 pm
finest1 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:09 pm thanks, i'll check them out. I've only got a section of wall to sand, would the Makita with the bag not be enough? is the bag reusable?
The bag has a zip to empty it so yes it is reusable but you depend on the vacuum provided by the sander. If as you say, you only have one small bit to do would it not be easier to get it done in one go and then spend your time cleaning whatever happened? In which case I would choose hand sanding as you will blow less dust about.
thanks, ignore me yesterday, I was tired from the DIY! yes machine will be better! I had a look around today at options. have you ever seen this? got great reviews, looks like hard work though!

https://www.toolstation.com/mirka-dust- ... kit/p86220
finest1

sanding dust

Post by finest1 »

OchAye wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 pm Electric sander e.g. <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bo371 ... 330j</span>. The bag is OK but it is much better if you improvise and connect it up to a vacuum cleaner. Check other sanders that may come with attachments to make it easier to connect them to a vacuum. The trick is that you must use specific papers with holes for suction to work and cheap papers are just that, cheap.

===
How did you attach the hose to the dust extraction port on the sander? I've got a henry hoover. as far as I know the henry connector is 32mm (unless anyone knows otherwise) I also looked into the pond pump hoses. just wanted to know how you connected to the Makita.

thanks
OchAye

sanding dust

Post by OchAye »

If you are tempted. I just measured the outlet of my sander is round and it is 22.2mm. The outlet does not have any clever clipping or anything, the bag is just a push on accessory. (I wonder if I have an O ring missing now as there seems to be the space for one). Note to the techies. Text in square brackets disappears, the gremlins get it.

I had found from a local supplier a clear thick pipe (probably designed for carrying "certain" liquids) and it was a tight fit but not very flexible, I did not need to do anything but just push it on at the outlet. Other end, I can't remember exactly as I had bought a number of things designed to fit the end of the hose of the Aquamaster, but I am sure a bit of gaffer tape did the sealing at that end. [The clear pipe went straight down the pipe of the Hoover]. Just been in the garden where I have a piece of recently purchased 25mm (1 inch) flexible pond pipe, it is a bit of a loose fit on the sander. It would need a circlip and I would not be willing to damage the outlet of the sander so I would chance a wrap or two of gaffer tape on the outlet to thicken it up. Remember, I am not a professional and I have to adapt what I got to do what I need.

Thanks to somebody posting a question here, I found this company https://www.miotools.co.uk/. They seem to have the cheapest dustless gear I have seen and some very interesting abrasives that fit multiple gadgets. You are probably in the £200+ mark and using your own vacuum for the cheapest proper (?) solution, and circa £7-800+ for what professional decorators use.

PS. If you decide to go down my route get the sander first (mine is 10-15 years old now) and see the dimensions. Then improvise...
L-plates
Newly registered Member

sanding dust

Post by L-plates »

OchAye wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:55 pm...

Thanks to somebody posting a question here, I found this company https://www.miotools.co.uk/. They seem to have the cheapest dustless gear I have seen and some very interesting abrasives that fit multiple gadgets. You are probably in the £200+ mark and using your own vacuum for the cheapest proper (?) solution, and circa £7-800+ for what professional decorators use.

I suspect that was myself, regarding considering the Mezner Dry Wall sander.
Ended up opting instead for a 125mm Flex machine from Amazon, and just recently got a refurb’d V-Tuf M-class mini from eBay, and some Silverline mesh sanding discs. So far, so good.
Does a better job of reducing dust in the air than when I’d borrow a friend’s blue Henry, which needed emptying at, what felt like, 10 minute intervals!
These users thanked the author L-plates for the post:
OchAye (Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 pm)
OchAye

sanding dust

Post by OchAye »

Silerline? Oh yuk (I am only thinking of their hand tools :-) )
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
Desmondo15 (Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm)
L-plates
Newly registered Member

sanding dust

Post by L-plates »

They’re decent when there’s abrasive on the discs, but it does tend to come off too easily.
Won’t be buying them again, but have bought a Mirka Handy kit and a box of P400 Mirka Autonet. Was almost tempted to go for P600, but caught myself on since I’m not aiming for glassy smooth emulsion!

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”