Moderator: Moderators

R7Bashy
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dulux trade super matt.....help

Post by R7Bashy »

Hi,

I purchased a new build around 6 months ago and have slowly been working my way around fixing and tidying bits. The builders used Dulux Trade Super Matt on the walls and ceilings and I am struggling in the hallway (where there is alot of natural light) My issue is the ceiling where i have re painted, it looks so patchy and shiny in certain angles or times of the day.

I mixed the paint fully, used a roller rather than a brush, applied plenty of paint and didnt push to hard but still it looks pretty bad. 

Where am I going wrong? I would of thought the paint itself being super matt wouldnt be shiny.....in other rooms its fine its just the darn hallway.....

Any help or tips would be great

OchAye

Dulux trade super matt.....help

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm:

I have not used the paint you mention, but I think your problem is down to technique. Your hallway would be narrow(ish) so it should be one of the easiest ceilings to get right. Odds 'n ends that may have affected you:
- too hot weather paints sets too fast, therefore your roller leaves too much orange peel (orange peel refers to the surface left by the roller sleeve), reduce heat as much as you can;
- paint too thick and again sets too fast, add some water;
- finish with strokes (along the length of the hallway) all in the same direction;
- maintain a wet edge;
- use a quality roller sleeve (hamilton perfection).

Your paint does not contain vinyl. If you are using it on walls it will not last well at all. The existing surfaces will also be too absorbent as you are in a new build + heat + thickness of paint you end up with problems is my best guess. If you decide to have another and another go at it, apart from the previous comments, you could use a 12" (or wider) roller sleeve also hamilton perfection.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”