Advice sought on internal walls issue.

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Bob225 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am Tourettes - The all new top of the F****** Range, D*** filler - Its the dogs B******* :lol:

Auto correct strikes again
:lol:
Elsewhere Deluxe paint ... Tom d'Angler's autocorrect.
L-plates
Newly registered Member

Post by L-plates »

No autocorrect Bob, just my attempt to inject a little humour to an otherwise slightly sombre thread by a non-diyer diyer!
These users thanked the author L-plates for the post:
wine~o (Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:00 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
L-plates
Newly registered Member

Post by L-plates »

OchAye wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 am Use a primer over the metal beading, although the chances are the metal would have been plated (galvanised?) by now you have to assume the plating has been scratched off so it may rust. Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is suitable. Feather the edges of the primer onto the plaster when you paint the beads...

Sandpaper, I use mostly 120 grade but adjust how much pressure you apply, for a smoother finish 180. Don't bother with finer grades for plaster/filler.
Thanks OchAye, probably best to take no chances with the plating, I suppose.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

L-plates wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:02 pm No autocorrect Bob, just my attempt to inject a little humour to an otherwise slightly sombre thread by a non-diyer diyer!
I got it. A little bit of humour on this forum, or indeed in life is always welcome.
OchAye wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:52 am
Bob225 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am
Elsewhere Deluxe paint ... Tom d'Angler's autocorrect.
You should see how Tom d' spells Aerosol without any help from autocorrect :lol:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

wine~o wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm You should see how Tom d' spells Aerosol without any help from autocorrect :lol:
Which I use from time to time with appropriate (TM) trademark :lol:
L-plates
Newly registered Member

Post by L-plates »

Thanks for the help so far chaps.
We’re getting there… slowly but surely. Back to bare plaster, so now comes the sanding and filling.
Hopefully we’ll get it all done by the weekend or early part of next week, including the papering.
L-plates
Newly registered Member

Post by L-plates »

OchAye wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 am Use a primer over the metal beading, although the chances are the metal would have been plated (galvanised?) by now you have to assume the plating has been scratched off so it may rust. Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is suitable. Feather the edges of the primer onto the plaster when you paint the beads...
Oddly, it was the mesh in two areas that reacted with the Toupret, and as much as I maybe should’ve taken it down, used the BIN, then Toupret’d it again, I just put the BIN over it. Hopefully whatever rusting occurred will have stopped once the Toupret had fully dried, and the Zinsser will keep the stain from ever materialising as time goes by.
These users thanked the author L-plates for the post:
OchAye (Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Have we done it yet ? or have you discovered more horrors
L-plates
Newly registered Member

Post by L-plates »

Bob225 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm Have we done it yet ? or have you discovered more horrors
No more horrors, but prioritised other things whilst the weather was decent/would let me, and also struggled to get any enthusiasm to get stuck in.
Radiator needs to come off, so under the sill and behind it can be stripped/sanded, and wallpaper needs decided upon as the original one was too thin and would show up the marks on the chimney breast, even with 1400 lining on it.
So, we’re now just doing the breast, and the wall either side have been stripped of its lining paper and Toupreted.
Should get that sanded and all the bare plaster painted by this weekend.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

L-plates wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm
Oddly, it was the mesh in two areas that reacted with the Toupret, and as much as I maybe should’ve taken it down, used the BIN, then Toupret’d it again, I just put the BIN over it. Hopefully whatever rusting occurred will have stopped once the Toupret had fully dried, and the Zinsser will keep the stain from ever materialising as time goes by.
Toupret has water blah blah things would rust. I am glad I guessed it right and you figured out a solution.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”