Plywood Decorative Wallboard - what paint?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Mexico
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mexico »

I've got an elderly relative who lives in a mobile home with internal walls that need a bit of an update.
It has currently got 3-4mm decorative faced plywood that was originally stuck to battens, that is now no longer secure.

Plan is to remove each panel, clean the battens and paint over the decorative surface of the plywood elsewhere,
then replace and re-glue.

So the question is what paint to use on the plywood?

The surface seems to be a bonded paper so can't rough-up that, at best just clean it.
I was thinking a primer + topcoat, but what's the best combo to use on this type of surface?

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Mexico
Newly registered Member

Post by Mexico »

Anybody?

I know this sounds a simple job, but need a flat clean paint finish over a quite smooth paper, so it'a all about what
to use to ensure that it doesn't get marked easy.

Any trade painters out there?
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

:welcomeuhm:

I am NOT a professional decorator - it strikes me that if you wanted to paint over paper, you would use emulsion. To be durable, try a kitchen or bathroom quality, these can be "wipe clean".

There's nothing special about the standard of finish of mobile home internals.
Mexico
Newly registered Member

Post by Mexico »

Decorative wallboard is a printed paper bonded to 3mm thin ply and is smooth with a sheen not that far away from matt art paper as used in many a magazine. With very little key, the problem would be one of how durable any emulsion would be and if sealer, primer even a glue/PVA or others would be a better bet before adding a top coat.

Being paper their is a also a risk of de-laminating which begs the second question of water or quick drying solvent based products.

Sure a DIY'er will say slap some emulsion on, but a trade guy would be more specific as to the prep, topcoat and brand of product hence the ask.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Mexico wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 am So the question is what paint to use on the plywood?
As it is paper-faced I would try a coat of Zinsser Wallpaper Cover Up. Use in a well-vented room as it smells a bit. Than paint with two coats of emulsion.

Is there a discrete area of the wall where you could do a test patch?

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”