Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

jasonb1977
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Waterproofing Paint Question for Bathrooms

Post by jasonb1977 »

Hi Guys,

Really hoping someone can help offer some advice on a query I have. Very much new to the "doing it myself" way of doing things. I've recently bought my first property and want to try and save a bit of money with doing as much of the decorating work as I can. Now to my query...

I have just had my bathroom plasterboarded and replastered to ensure I have some nice smooth new services to use for decorating. I intend on "sealing" the plaster with a mix of 80% white emulsion and 20% water in order to create that seal. I then have a grey water based emulsion as my top coat. Now I thought the paint I had purchased was waterproof... turns out that it isnt... but I dont want to waste the paint.

I've done some looking around to try and see if there is anything that I can paint over the top of the grey emulsion in order to make it "waterproof". There are many sealants mentioned around the internet but im just not confident enough to know which is correct for this particular job (if any). There are plenty of plaster sealants, masonry, etc. but I just want to know if there is something cost effective out there that I am able to paint over my top coat in order to "waterproof" it? Ideally it would be a clear matt coating to sit above my top coat. I did try to find a bathroom/kitchen paint in the range/colour I am using for the house but was unable to find any. To prevent me from having to colour match and spend a lot of money on some new paint... I was hoping there was a workaround by sealing my current paint instead?

Thanks to anyone who is able to offer any advice on this little chestnut.

Cheers

Jason
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Are you paining in a wet zone e.g. around the bath / shower? That maybe an issue.

I have used water based paint on the walls (bath area is tiled) and ceiling without any issues.

ah
jasonb1977
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by jasonb1977 »

Hi there,

That was the idea. Technically I was going to paint the entire bathroom in the Bathroom paint... which turned out to just be washable matt paint when I looked into it further. I am not having a shower, but there will be a sink and a free standing bath that have the possibility of splashing, etc. Maybe im over thinking the issue and washable matt will be good enough for the walls... but as a newbie im just panicking that the paint ive now got wont be up to the job. Ill have a similar issue when i finally get to my kitchen... the colour/brand we have picked dont have a specific kitchen/bathroom paint so I was trying to find a way around it which is proving harder than I thought.

Thanks
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Most independent deccy centres will mix up just about anything in any colour, matt satin silk eggshell whatever. Unless the emulsion is going to be subject to direct water splashing/jets then don't worry.

A lot of bathroom/ kitchen paints are marketing gimmiks for eggshell..
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
jasonb1977 (Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:32 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”