Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

ghuznee
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help to remove varnish streaks on hardwood floor

Post by ghuznee »

I did the sides with a small roller. And the middle with a large roller. Basically a big difference between the two types thanks to a difference in application volume.

It’s Ronseal light oak. It says you need three coats. I’m on the first. Looks horrible! How can I fix this?

Please see attachment.
Attachments
rwzAk96.jpg
rwzAk96.jpg (204.12 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm: What Ronseal stuff is it? Was that a new floor or newly sanded floor? Too late now, I would have done with a brush going along the grain on each plank (left-right). I will probably end up saying sanding is the solution but I will not yet as someone else (not him) may have a better idea.
ghuznee
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ghuznee »

@OchAye - It's Ronseal Light Oak Hardwood Floor stuff. I sanded back the dark oak colour before this.
I got this response for a Reddit reply:
"Don't worry, don't sand yet ... You got more applied to the sides than the middle and it's showing a "picture frame" effect because you didn't "feather" the application. (that's when you spread paint with raggedy uneven coverage to make the next section blend in.

For the next coat, because it's just the hallway, use a wide brush and go side to side, feathering the strokes where they meet the darker parts. Don't put a second coat on the edges, just feather partway over them.

Third coat: brush full width, side to side."

Thoughts?
yartin

Post by yartin »

I wouldn't apply more coats. Sand to bare wood and varnish. I would use 2 step sand, 40 or 60 then 100 grit.
These users thanked the author yartin for the post:
wine~o (Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:26 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Is this a quick dry varnish i.e. waterbased? The only positive about it is that it is unlikely to have penetrated much in the wood. I am with Yartin. If you apply more coats what happens if by the 3rd coat you still have dark patches? It may even out it may not and then you will have much more to remove. Also using a coloured varnish every extra coat will darken the wood more and will obliterate the wood grain a bit more. You should use a brush (synthetic and probably 3" wide or 2" if you feel happier) and brush along each plank. Sorry :-(
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

yartin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm I wouldn't apply more coats. Sand to bare wood and varnish. I would use 2 step sand, 40 or 60 then 100 grit.
Spot on. Apply more coats and you'll exacerbate the problem.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”