Outdoor wood painting, can’t cover filler?!

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Blenkiron
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Blenkiron »

Hi all, just signed up and after a little advice. Above my front door and window there’s a canopy with wood on it. It wasn’t in the best shape when I moved in, weathered and flaky. I’ve cleaned it up, sanded it down and filled and holes or gaps and re sanded down.
I then used ronseal outdoor wood paint, big mistake... stuffs like mucky water, 6 coats and it’s not any better, tonight I’ve added a coat of Cuprinol after good recommendations. Both pints water based.
I didn’t use any primer or undercoat, beginning to wish I did.
What’s the best way to sort this out? Will more cots get rid of the filler marks or shall I use primer, any advice is good advice!

Hopefully the pictures work, the paint is a grey colour.
Attachments
3545CE53-24BB-4386-B2CB-2F4255FE8FDB.jpeg
3545CE53-24BB-4386-B2CB-2F4255FE8FDB.jpeg (297.05 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
58C18042-96D0-4F2A-B5C9-9896E8FA6A20.jpeg
58C18042-96D0-4F2A-B5C9-9896E8FA6A20.jpeg (323.95 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

no expert here
i think what you have used is shed or fence type treatment where you dont seal the wood but may or may not give it protection but not from water
as an aside i have used ducksback on my now 15 year old shed [workshop ]and its waxy and 100% seals and keeps moisture out with 2 or 3 coats every say 4 to 5years
we are all ------------------still learning
yartin

Post by yartin »

You filled and sanded to bear wood and painted without primer, have you read the instructions if they require primer? Are they outdoor paints?

I have painted wooden garage door some 10 years ago, sanded filled primed and then dulux weather shield exterior paint. Still there but about time to re do it.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Blenkiron wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 pm I then used ronseal outdoor wood paint, big mistake... stuffs like mucky water, 6 coats and it’s not any better, tonight I’ve added a coat of Cuprinol after good recommendations. Both pints water based.
1. Can you find on the Ronseal website the paint you used or post a photo of the container? Is it here? https://www.ronseal.com/for-home/doors- ... ood-paint/
2. Did you mix the paint really well as in spend minutes mixing it and not 10 seconds? Often, the solids sink to the bottom of the tin.
3. As Ronseal and Cuprinol belong to the same company, I think Cuprinol tends to make paints for fences and sheds so you maybe screwing things up by not sticking to what you started with.

EDIT. 4. How long did you leave between coats?

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”