- Newly registered Member
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:25 pm
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
I then used ronseal outdoor wood paint, big mistake... stuffs like mucky water, 6 coats and it’s not any better, tonight I’ve added a coat of Cuprinol after good recommendations. Both pints water based.
I didn’t use any primer or undercoat, beginning to wish I did.
What’s the best way to sort this out? Will more cots get rid of the filler marks or shall I use primer, any advice is good advice!
Hopefully the pictures work, the paint is a grey colour.
- 3545CE53-24BB-4386-B2CB-2F4255FE8FDB.jpeg (297.05 KiB) Viewed 448 times
- 58C18042-96D0-4F2A-B5C9-9896E8FA6A20.jpeg (323.95 KiB) Viewed 448 times
- Pro Carpenter
- Posts: 21544
- Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
- Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
- Has thanked: 646 times
- Been thanked: 1956 times
i think what you have used is shed or fence type treatment where you dont seal the wood but may or may not give it protection but not from water
as an aside i have used ducksback on my now 15 year old shed [workshop ]and its waxy and 100% seals and keeps moisture out with 2 or 3 coats every say 4 to 5years
- Senior Member
- Posts: 483
- Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 am
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 43 times
I have painted wooden garage door some 10 years ago, sanded filled primed and then dulux weather shield exterior paint. Still there but about time to re do it.
- Senior Member
- Posts: 4806
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm
- Location: Dundee, Scotland.
- Has thanked: 855 times
- Been thanked: 990 times
1. Can you find on the Ronseal website the paint you used or post a photo of the container? Is it here? https://www.ronseal.com/for-home/doors- ... ood-paint/
2. Did you mix the paint really well as in spend minutes mixing it and not 10 seconds? Often, the solids sink to the bottom of the tin.
3. As Ronseal and Cuprinol belong to the same company, I think Cuprinol tends to make paints for fences and sheds so you maybe screwing things up by not sticking to what you started with.
EDIT. 4. How long did you leave between coats?