Help to get soaked in paint out of a kitchen cupboard.

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Shelliene29
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Shelliene29 »

The decorator I hired to paint my kitchen (among many many other mistakes) failed to use proper protection and as a result, got paint on one of my cupboard doors, the paint seems to have soaked in, its a matt vinyl finish.

Any suggestions on how to bring the paint out without damaging the door or needing to purchase a new door?
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

What is the door made of?
Shelliene29
Newly registered Member

Post by Shelliene29 »

I think its MDF and a vinyl or laminate front, Ive tried to check the company I bought it froms website but it doesnt specifiy neither does my paperwork.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Are you saying the paint is in the 'grain' of the vinyl foil covering of the door? You have to be careful going with different solvents to try to remove stains as you could cause the glue to fail and the foil will start bubbling or delaminiating.

The best solvent foe emulsion is emulsion itself. Although you can thin emulsion with water there is an inbuilt solvent within the paint. Experiment with a bit of emulsion on an unobtrusive area, leave it on for about 2 minutes and then remove it using kitchen paper and a toothbrush to work the grain. Then water it and more gentle brushing dabbing it with paper to dry.
Just an idea that might help. I use this method to get dried emulsion off switch covers and the like and it always works.

Good luck

DWD
Shelliene29
Newly registered Member

Post by Shelliene29 »

I dont know if Im misundertanding what you saying, I should put more emulsion on the stain to get it out? or just keep using water and a toothbrush on the stain? Its been on the door for over a week I didnt realise until yesterday.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

if the door is in a prominent position do you have the option to move that door to a less obvious location ??
we are all ------------------still learning
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I know it is against your instincts to do this but you use a blob of emulsion as a solvent. I know it seems odd but an experiment will show if it works. It is hard to soften dried emulsion just with water and the wet paint may well activate the hardened emulsion on the door. Big All's Idea to move the door might be a good move if the cleaning method is no good. Of course sods law will dictate that a swap is not in the right place.

DWD
Shelliene29
Newly registered Member

Post by Shelliene29 »

its a drawer door so I dont have the option to move it, its not hard on the top of the wood its like its actually soaked into the wood
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Can you post a picture of the door and a close up please. It is hard to imagine and comment on this issue without seeing it.

Thanks

DWD

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”