Moderator: Moderators

Khaos
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tips for a first time decorator

Post by Khaos »

Hi,

I've recently just bought my first house, it's a new build so came with a few options like carpets and tiles etc.

So now all those are selected my next job is deciding what colours to decorate as I don't want to stick with all white walls throughout.

I have selected a platinum carpet and I've been doing some research on colours for walls, Light blue seems to compliment the carpet colour rather well, So....do I paint every wall the light blue or can I paint 2 walls light blue and one accent wall a lighter shade of grey to take it through in to my kitchen to also compliment the kitchen flooring too?

Trying to work out if it would be too much to paint the walls 2 different colours, should they all be the same colour or should I just paint 1 wall the blue as an accent wall?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

White walls give a feeling of space and light and as soon as you add colours it makes it feel smaller and darker. So it is important to be very careful on keeping the tones as light as possible. A person I know was in a modern house and painted his walls that awful terracotta colour that was the in thing a few years back. It was awful and made the room dark and poky and his wife moaned so much he had to put it back white.

Much will depend on room size, natural light and layout. A single wall of a complementing light colour tone is safer.

DWD
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm: entirely up to you as to choice of wall colour/s, what I will say is that trade emulsion is far superior to standard retail emulsion ( by retail I mean the stuff you will find in B&Q, Homebase and the likes.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”