Aldi Masonry Paint

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

APDIY

Aldi Masonry Paint

Post by APDIY »

Aldi Masonry Paint

Aldi has 5 L pots of white/cream Deco Masonry Paint @ £6.49.
Opinions please for covering a 3 storey, bare, rendered, gable end wall, or better options?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/masonry-cream-pa ... 4137204700
ian gibson

Re: Aldi Masonry Paint

Post by ian gibson »

Be aware that there has been reported problems with this paint, some saying it washes off in the rain or discolours after a short while. Not used it myself but their bathroom paint was excellent and their acrylic gloss isn't bad either, did my garage door with that and it's held up superbly, both of these are made by Deco Style, which, I think, is made by the German paint manufacturer Caparol which is an excellent brand.
These users thanked the author ian gibson for the post:
APDIY
Rating: 7.14%
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

I can't speak for the Aldi paint but buying something for the job you got because it is cheap it could be false economy. If it flakes, if it comes off, scraping it off in order to repaint will be a lot harder than just painting.

Some of the professionals here were recommending pliolite paint (solvent/resin based as opposed to the water based paints) as being the dogs danglies. These companies and more e.g. Crown (Sandtex), Dulux, Johnstone, zinsser make "trade quality" exterior paints. You need to follow one system for what has to go first on the wall and what paint to follow it.

Other than that I am a DIYer and have no experience of painting masonry.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
APDIY
ian gibson

Post by ian gibson »

The problem with pliolite is if there's more than 8% moisture in the wall it will fail, and I've seen a job where it failed spectacularly because of this.
These users thanked the author ian gibson for the post (total 2):
OchAyeAPDIY
Rating: 14.29%
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

OchAye wrote: "trade quality"
I have always been puzzled by "trade quality". Is it the best of the best or an economy version. From what you write it's the BEST?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

"trade" quality is far far better than "retail" (stuff from B&Q, Homebase etc?) it contains more and better pigments...
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
APDIY
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

APDIY wrote:
OchAye wrote: "trade quality"
I have always been puzzled by "trade quality". Is it the best of the best or an economy version. From what you write it's the BEST?
Just a small example. Bosch makes drills/screwdrivers for DIY use (green colour case) and makes drills/screwdrivers for trade use (blue colour plastics). The trade versions are designed to be used daily, often all day and keep going. That is before they are dropped or get other damage by the operator. They are designed to last longer and cost accordingly a lot more money.

Trade paint you have to see it in the same way. If you use it properly with the correct thinning for example it will do what it says on the tin (no pun intended). A professional cares about the price of paint but cares more that he can do the job in two coats of e.g. emulsion and not three. Also being arguably a better paint it may last a bit better so the customer has less reason to complain. Also, trade paints will always have a specification sheet on the website which will tell you what you must do prior to painting e.g. what to do on unpainted surfaces. They have no reason not to specify extra materials that may have to be used prior to putting on the paint. A retail paint may not tell that you must use certain materials before using it (e.g. on sealing exterior surfaces) because it has to compete with the tin that is next on the shelf that says use it as is.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
APDIY
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

Very many thanks for that explanation, OchAye.
These users thanked the author APDIY for the post:
OchAye
APDIY

Aldi Masonry Paint

Post by APDIY »

A year on update on Aldi Masonry Paint.
One 'mist' coat
Two 'full strength' coats.
It looks great and has stood up to snow, hail, rain, gales etc. ......... :thumbup:

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”