Painting a metal garage door, advice please.

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

ShaneWillo
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ShaneWillo »

I was wondering if I can get some advice? I am going to prep and paint an old(pre painted) metal garage door. I want to colour match the front door which is a dark green but not sure what paint I should go with. Originally I was going to go with Hammerite garage door paint but the Buckingham green is far too light, is the straight to rust(smooth dark green) good for garage doors? I am not new to painting but I have never painted a standard metal garage door before and want to create a real good finish without any brush marks/sag. Please can someone recommend either an all in one easy to apply paint or a primer and paint that will work well and comes in dark green?

Also any advice when prepping I would appreciate, I have a wire brush and sand paper would I have to strip ALL of the old paint off?

Thanks so much.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well, I painted my garage doors with a wipe down with white spirit and straight on with the top coat. I used Johnstones oil-based paint which went on really well. They are still good three years on. The thing is that paint lays on the metal, there is no penetration. Okay, the correct way is to use an undercoat and then top coats. A bit of wet and dry paper is best to take out any nibs etc. I would buy some mini rollers to get the paint om quick and even, augment with a brush in the ridges. :thumbright:

DWD
ShaneWillo
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ShaneWillo »

Thank you for your reply, Johnston's oil based paint can also paint on the wooden door? As want to get a colour match. Never painted a garage before so want to give it a real good coverage and finish with no brush Mark's etc.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, on wood undercoat though. Don't pick a windy day as all the dust blows up on the paint. Johnstones mix any colour for you at their decorating centres https://www.johnstonestrade.com/ :thumbright:

DWD

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”