Emulsion as undercoat?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

rozzleshnozzle
Newly registered Member

Emulsion as undercoat?

Post by rozzleshnozzle »

Hi all.
I have had a search around here and the internet, and keep getting conflicting information. I am repainting my house, and need to undercoat the walls. I was told by a few people that I could use a trade emulsion as an undercoat to go over the old paint. I have also been told this is bodgy and shouldn't be done. I would then be doing coats of the desired colour after the undercoat, but that parts seems pretty straight forward to me.
Can anyone pretty please help me out here? :scratch:
woody8086
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Emulsion as undercoat?

Post by woody8086 »

Unless the walls are gloss paint (unlikely) I can't see a reason why not.

Put a coat on, deal with any dodgy areas with sandpaper and filler then bang a couple of coats of "decent" paint on to your colour choice.

I have used many many paints in the past but have always found dulux to be the failsafe.

However I am sure some here will have their own favourites, don't skimp on the quality, doing it twice is not nice.
These users thanked the author woody8086 for the post (total 3):
toolbox (Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am) • Bronco (Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:22 pm) • rozzleshnozzle (Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm)
Rating: 21.43%
Bronco
Newly registered Member

Emulsion as undercoat?

Post by Bronco »

Hi
Depends on whats already on the walls.
Maybe do a test area.
Sugar soap/degrease,
Key (light sand)
Then paint.
Reason for test area you can get paint reactions. i dont practice what i preach and paint the whole wall and end up having to flat the whole wall off when i get a problem.
I do use cheap emulsion as a base on rough walls when i have to do a lot of filling.
Sorry to bore you. :director:
Bronco.
These users thanked the author Bronco for the post:
rozzleshnozzle (Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
rozzleshnozzle
Newly registered Member

Emulsion as undercoat?

Post by rozzleshnozzle »

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I have the orbital sander out and going over all the walls, and will probably end up skim coating most of them as I've seen flatter ocean swells. Thankfully it's down to poor plastering and not damp and blowing plaster. As for doing a test area, I absolutely will be doing this, using my test areas on the sample pots. As for brand, I'm not sure yet, depends on colours, but I know I won't be getting cheap crap either. These answers make me feel better, as I had bought a tub of emulsion and THEN got told I was silly. And Bronco, not boring at all. Appreciate any and all help available 👍
These users thanked the author rozzleshnozzle for the post:
Bronco (Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”