Painting during Hot weather and in direct Sun

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

nmpnmp
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by nmpnmp »

I’m planning on Glossing a pair of garden gates this week, and all the prep is done. The weather forecasts shows a hot week approaching with up to 30 C later in the week.

I want to try and get the coat of gloss on before it gets too hot.

Apparently on Monday the forecast is 23 C. The gates are west facing and sheltered from the sun in the morning. However, In the afternoon they are directly in the Sun.

I was thinking of applying a Coat in the early hours, between 8-12 when the temperatures are supposed to be between 12- 19C and the gates are out of the sun.

Is this wise considering that the temperatures are expected to be hotter in the afternoon and the fact that the still wet paint will be in direct sun in the afternoon, up to 23 C or shall I just wait til the following week when temperatures are expected to be lower?

Thanks all
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

What about a gazebo over to protect from the sun?

DWD
nmpnmp
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by nmpnmp »

I did think to setup a shade of sorts but later in the day as the sun lowers It will still be directly on the door, and besides the temperature would still be in the 20’s. I’ve had a bad experience with gloss and high temperatures so wasn’t really keen to want to risk it. Will probably wait til the temperatures come down to the teens before I do the gloss coat, unless someone can advise me differently.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Oil based gloss can really suffer when applied in direct sunlight, dramatically extended drying times and runs/snots even though the paint was applied correctly.

Wait for a cooler day would be my advice.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
nmpnmp (Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thinking about this, why not paint in the early evening after the sun has passed over? There are still hours of daylight at this time of the year for the surface to harden and it has the night to dry. Ideal conditions in the next few days with predicted warmth at night.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
nmpnmp (Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:00 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”