£900,000 decorating job?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

arco_iris

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by arco_iris »

How can it cost £900,000 to repaint the PM's Airbus A330 in red white & blue?

We could organise a few UHM members with 4" brushes, rollers & trays to get together with lots of masking tape (social distancing won't be a problem, the thing is about 60m long and 60m wide) & we'll do it for - what you think - £750k?

With a discount for prompt payment.

Loads of us with time on our hands at the mo., we could do it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53082294
Bob225

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by Bob225 »

well you put aeronautics on anything the price increases 100 fold and all that white wire costs you know
ahfix

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by ahfix »

It's fine, it's public money on a vanity project. HS2 is a while away so the conservatives some how need to line their mates pockets until then.

ah
Chippo1

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by Chippo1 »

I don’t think it’s Dulux water based satin , would weigh much for a start.

They will most likely have to strip of all of the existing RAF grey paint.

But 900k who knows, how much does Easy jet pay for a respray.

Made me laugh when BA decided to re livery all their planes what was the cost then!

What also gets my juices rising is the utilities re branding at huge cost , and in many cases we have no choice like water suppliers. When my previous water company did it they also employed a marketing company to phone customers up ask just how wonderful the new name was , needless to say I spent 30mins giving the young lady the facts of life and ultimately her line manager.
Grendel

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by Grendel »

I asked the same thi g on a facebook post. To be honest i thought a third of that price would be more acceptable. With HS2 look at chippo's post about the costs of the lifts and elevators . I've worked for a firm on an MOD maintenance contract and something simple like changing a lightbulb would cost close to £60. A friend works for a metal parts company , at one point they made spare wheel hangers for lorries , the military version was the same product just pai ted green and was twice as expensive . Covid 19 might be classed as a pandemic but the real pandemic is companies ripping off taxpayers.
Bob225

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by Bob225 »

It a snip at 900K a new one would be 200 mil
ahfix

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by ahfix »

Grendel wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:01 am Covid 19 might be classed as a pandemic but the real pandemic is companies ripping off taxpayers.
I agree and disagree. Companies should have more morals when it comes to public money but the procurement and due-diligence processes should catch this and force the price down, that just isn't happening.

Same thing with NHS, I often look at the paper towel and glove dispensers and think, I bet that cost them a few £100 when it's just some bend wire on backing board.

ah
Chippo1

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by Chippo1 »

Look at today’s news re furlough payments you cannot rely on people’s morals they will exploit the nievaty of government and politicians every time, it a fact of life.

Really does Boris need a plane painted in the Union Jack for a pen is extension , no it will have no effect or one that can be demonstrated other than Maybe Jacob has shares in an aircraft painting company or one of his acolytes does.
camallison

£900,000 decorating job?

Post by camallison »

That price is pretty near the mark for stripping the dark grey and applying three separate colours to a specific design on an Airbus A330, which the plane is. In that cost is the graphics designer's bill too. Bigger worry is how on earth do you hide an aerial tanker (which is one of its duties) painted red, white, and blue from a possible enemy?

I suppose it's better than one proposal which was to build a state yacht, costing £30m to £50m.

Colin

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”