Moderator: Moderators

stuartdavjohnson
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New plaster problems

Post by stuartdavjohnson »

Hi all,

Nothing I'm sure you won't have seen before but I'm after just some understanding of what I did wrong for future reference.

Recently renovate my property from top to bottom and had the walls re-skimmed. It's now been roughly 3 months and I'm having problems with the paint.

So, on the fresh plaster, I applied a 50/50 coat of Leyland Trade Matt emulsion which the tubs all say are perfect for fresh plaster. Once dry, I painted on a coat of Dulux silk paint.

3 months down the line and the paint seems to come away from the walls very very easily. Lean something against a wall for a few minutes, and the paint comes away with the item. I've now noticed that a small part of one wall has bubbled and with a light press of my thumb has ehaused the paint to depress and crack.

If I apply frog tape (even the yellow one) it pulls the paint straight off.

The only thing I should mention is that I used a sprayer instead of a roller. The physician finish with a sprayer is amazing and seemed the paint went on thick but I'm now thinking that I needed more coats perhaps,

With the damaged areas I'm just going to scrape off and repaint. If just like to know why I've had these issues in the first place to avoid it again in future.

To note, the paint that comes away is the silk top coat, the white beneath is seems good and doesn't pull off all the way to the plaster.

Thanks
PaulS86
Newly registered Member

New plaster problems

Post by PaulS86 »

It hasn't bonded as the mist is too fine. The particles are drying when leaving the gun and laying on the plaster.
These users thanked the author PaulS86 for the post:
stafen (Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:51 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
stafen
BANNED
Been thanked: 0

New plaster problems

Post by stafen »

Agree mate!

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”