Dangerous caulking mistake? Fire hazard?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

anothercanofworms
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by anothercanofworms »

Yes, another possible large can of worms

I have two 15mm exposed pipes in the living room which I think were previously painted with emulsion. Two on either side of the through lounge. They come down from the ceiling into the radiators. I bought some talon clips and pipe covers to neaten things up. Plan was to just clip in and caulk the edges.

After cutting to size and clipping everything in the gaps between the wall and pipe cover was quite large. So without thinking I stuffed them with kitchen roll down the side and caulked it all up. I just put the heating on and the cover itself is quite warm but I’m assuming that’s fine as surely that’s exactly what these talon tools are designed to withstand. Thoughts?

But much more importantly what about the dry kitchen roll stuffed in there??? Is this is a huge and dangerous fire hazard???

Also slightly more worried because it’s now all enclosed so increased risk of increased heat.

:help: :cb ::b ::b ::b
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. The heating system will never be hot enough to cause it to burn. An average of 20 degrees would not bring it close to the sort of heat that would generate spontaneous combustion. I think I remember many years ago stuffing tissue in a pipe hole as my wife saw a spider. I think it stayed there all winter with never any issue.

DWD
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Paper needs to reach 451 degrees Fahrenheit before it will ignite, I can't see your heating pipes getting anywhere near that hot.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
anothercanofworms
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I’m quite surprised, pipes feel a lot hotter than that and I’m wondering if the really thin smaller pieces of paper would need temperature that high to combust
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

anothercanofworms wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:16 pm I’m wondering if the really thin smaller pieces of paper would need temperature that high to combust
Put some in the oven @ 200°C and see what happens.
One day it will all be firewood.
anothercanofworms
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:27 pm
anothercanofworms wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:16 pm I’m wondering if the really thin smaller pieces of paper would need temperature that high to combust
Put some in the oven @ 200°C and see what happens.
Hilarious. I might actually give it a try
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

if you take your bit off burning paper it will quickly set light to any crispy biscuit or sponge that where cooked on grease proof paper
we are all ------------------still learning
Toria
BANNED

Post by Toria »

I used fire-resistant spray foam for a similar task.

I do have a boxed-in boiler with alarming-looking discolouration/scorch marks where the wood comes close to the hot pipes though. :shock:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

Toria wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:52 pm I used fire-resistant spray foam for a similar task.

I do have a boxed-in boiler with alarming-looking discolouration/scorch marks where the wood comes close to the hot pipes though. :shock:
there is zero danger from any heating pipes or any connection within the house or close to the face off a boiler with even less away from the boilers
now external near the exhaust port you may have a perhaps 10 - 15 % off heat damage
wood will never ever be heat damaged or scorched by contact with pipes it may however be discoloured by airflow incuding dust
try leaning a bit off wood against you boiling electric kettle where it will be perhaps 20-30% hotter than you boiler or connected pipes and wait perhaps a hundred years to notice that the wood may split as it dries out or gets wet as it gets in the way off kettle use and spilt on :wink:
as the heat from a boiler pipework is closer to direct sun on a very very hot day rather than 4 or 5 times greater [hotter]levels off heat needed for combustion your in no danger :lol:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
Toria (Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
anothercanofworms
Newly registered Member

Thanks all for helpful posts, feeling better now and won’t undo and re-do which I was considering!

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”