Decking paint

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

sx_turbo

Decking paint

Post by sx_turbo »

Ok so I've done something a little stupid, I bought ronseal garden paint in various colours and fed up with the red decking paint (it's a bit like red oxide primer I colour) the decking is currently painted in decided to paint the decking.

However after I've done 3/4 of it then looked at the tin, and it specifically states to not use it on decking...

Now is this really a big problem? I understand that it likely won't look great after people walk on it, but then the current decking specific paint the previous owner used hasn't worked well under foot either.
Toria
BANNED

Decking paint

Post by Toria »

I think it's mostly because it won't last, plus non-decking paints & stains can also can be slippery as ****.
A lot of garden paints aren't suitable for use on smooth wood either - it just doesn't stick.
I used Ducksback on a veranda a few years back (yeah, a little stupid too) and it was utterly lethal when wet, and didn't last a year. Even though it mostly came off with a pressure washer, getting it all off out of the valleys was a nightmare.
Bronco
Newly registered Member

Decking paint

Post by Bronco »

Cuprinol stain stripper.( Will remove paint)
Leave on for 4 hours max and pressure wash off.
Toria
BANNED

Decking paint

Post by Toria »

Side question: the stain (Cuprinol) I applied over a year ago has gone cloudy/greyish in parts. It looks dirty, but I've tried scrubbing to no avail. Does this mean it needs reapplying please, anyone?

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”