Anyone used this?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Anyone used this?

Post by dewaltdisney »

I am getting ready to put a preservative coat on my stables and in the past, I have used Cuprinol shed and fence a solvent-based product. As it is now hard to get and expensive I am thinking of switching to this https://www.toolstation.com/creocote-sh ... -4l/p80210 I do not want to use the waxy stuff and this seems to be a compromise. I will mask up and wear the disposable coveralls as it looks a bit dodgy. Has anyone used it or has an opinion please?

Thanks

DWD
Desmondo15

Anyone used this?

Post by Desmondo15 »

No but my mate did the other day and it stinks.... sorry but that is all.
These users thanked the author Desmondo15 for the post:
dewaltdisney (Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
adonis

Anyone used this?

Post by adonis »

I have recently used barratine Wood Protective Treatment 5L Clear, toolstation code 68513
and I thought the data sheet on that was scary enough but creocote is worse.

The one I used was clear and soaked in quite well and I wouldn't have used creocote myself having compared them.
These users thanked the author adonis for the post:
dewaltdisney (Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 pm)
dewaltdisney

Anyone used this?

Post by dewaltdisney »

Sadly no stock at present, I agree, it is slightly less toxic than Creocote

DWD
Grendel

Anyone used this?

Post by Grendel »

I've used it. A customer gets me to coat the chicken coops each year. They're still in good nick so presumably it's doing the intended job. It does smell but not excessively in my opinion although others may think it's terrible. Disposable overalls are a good idea and goggles might be an idea too as it's very liquid , almost like painting water and can splash about if one is too energetic with the brush.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
dewaltdisney (Thu May 28, 2020 7:40 am)
dewaltdisney

Anyone used this?

Post by dewaltdisney »

The Cuprinol I used in the past was quite difficult to use. I used eye and mouth protection plus the disposable overalls painting with that plus it smelt very chemically too. That splashed everywhere as well. I feel it is academic at the minute as there does not seem to be any stock unless you want to pay double. It can wait for the time being. I am going to use a water/bleach mix on the algae on the North facing walls so that will take a few days to dry. I am leaning towards the product Adonis linked to when I can get it.

Thanks all for your input.

DWD
Toria
BANNED

Anyone used this?

Post by Toria »

I used the Creocote last year on a gate. Awful longevity, and my skin itched dreadfully whenever it got on me. It was very patchy too over the previous colour. Unfortunately, once you use something like that, apparently nothing else will take.

I bought some of the coloured version of that Barrettine and applied it to some exterior wood last week - went on well though splashy, it's a very matt finish but seems to be doing the job, even after only one coat. Can't comment on longevity yet, obviously. I got it from Wood Finishes Direct as Toolstation didn't have the colour I wanted. I'm happy enough to use it again, so far.
These users thanked the author Toria for the post (total 2):
dewaltdisney (Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:58 pm) • adonis (Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:20 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
dewaltdisney

Anyone used this?

Post by dewaltdisney »

I finally got my order for the Barrettine wood preservative that Adonis pointed me to. I had to wait for the stock to appear but eventually got enough for my job. I painted two bays today before I got too hot in all the PPE gear. You are right Toria, it is splashy and I am glad I had all the gear on as I had spots on my glasses mask and painting arm. I would say it is on a par with Cuprinol and it has given a nice matt finish.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 2):
Toria (Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 am) • adonis (Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:20 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
Toria
BANNED

Anyone used this?

Post by Toria »

(Oops - I thought thumbs up meant thumbs up not thanks if you're puzzled. I'm new around here. Well, long time lurker but only recently registered.)

I know there's a more technical word than 'splashy', but it sums it up well enough for me. I got some on the paper boiler suit I was wearing, but I was only doing a door frame of the porch so, not a massive job like you.
Glad you think it's OK. I'm tempted to apply it in a few more places around my house this week.
dewaltdisney

Anyone used this?

Post by dewaltdisney »

Update: I was very lucky getting my cans of Barrettine wood preserver. I was constantly checking Toolstation website and at 11.00pm one evening they suddenly posted 20 in stock delivery only. I whacked my order in and luckily they arrived by courier a few days later. The packing was very carefully done with each can individually packed in plastic and then cushioned out in a cardboard box. So 8 packages later and a mountain of plastic waste and cardboard I had my stock to proceed. I spent three weeks doing two coats and now it is done I am pleased with the finish but bloody glad it is complete. I have subsequently checked the stock and it is still out, weeks later, I was just lucky I got mine.

As a product, it is very good for the purpose I wanted it for. The first coat just soaked straight in which made it quite slow, the second was better and quicker. I did a third coat on the west facing elevations. I knocked out three Harris block brushes as the bristles kept shedding. It was a necessary maintenance job and thanks for the recommendation to Adonis as it was exactly what I needed. :thumbright:
Rorschach

Anyone used this?

Post by Rorschach »

Good to know. I am afraid I use the very anti eco motor oil for my woodwork, it doesn't half do a good job though.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”