painting stair handrail satin black

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

finest1

Post by finest1 »

hi all

I hope you are well. a quick question:

I have a new stair fitted, so the wood is bare pine wood.

I want to paint the handrail satin black and spindles white

to apply back satin paint, can I use white primer, or a grey? does it matter? I've sourced lots of white primer, not so much grey

thanks in advance

finest :thumbright:
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

You could use any colour primer you want, but the correct approach is to see what the manufacturer of your Satin paint specifies for painting new wood. E.g. primer, undercoat, and satin in which case you undercoat would be grey. If you start with white and that is what you got you may need at least one extra coat of black.
finest1

Post by finest1 »

thanks for your reply. makes sense. I did read it somewhere but couldn't recall where or whether it was true or not.

I have sourced grey undercoat, but not primer. should I just use my white primer, grey undercoat, and then the satin paint? at the moment I'm juggling the costs? grey undercoat, less black paint, or white primer and white undercoat more black paint...black satinwood paint is expensive and not readily available
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

You could skip the primer and undercoat stages and use the Bedec black satin multi surface paint https://www.toolstation.com/bedec-multi ... int/p11976 , I’ve used the satin white version on new wood with a quick rub down in between coats and it holds up very well.
Having said that I personally would use Zinsser bin as a primer first because it is easy to use , sticks really well and can be over painted in 45 minutes. Then a couple of coats of the Bedec paint which dries in a couple of hours and re coatable in 4 hours.
I’m NOT a decorator and other folk on here may differ in their approach but it is a decent paint and will not complicate a straightforward job.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
finest1

Post by finest1 »

thanks for your response,

I've already bought the primer, although I can easily return it, funny enough from toolstation!

im not in too much of a hurry to paint it up, im just after a really good finish as the staircase is now a feature in the house, so I may as well make it look good and pleasing to look at. However I do like efficiency, getting a lot done with less effort and time. we all do!

i'll see what other say about your idea

thanks
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

finest1 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 pm m not in too much of a hurry to paint it up
The more you use the staircase with just bare wood, the more grease and acids that will collect on the hand rail from hands, the more difficult will be to clean it as it will get into the grain. Just sayin..."
finest1 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 pm However I do like efficiency, getting a lot done with less effort and time. we all do!
Speak for yourself :mrgreen: . I do things because I enjoy doing them.
finest1

Post by finest1 »

hi all

I would like to show you this:

as mentioned earlier I had a new staircase fitted. the old staircase had a wood stain on it, nothing fancy just a regular satin finish.

I am planning to paint the post white. I had a go at sanding an area with P120 sandpaper, nothing heavy, just a medium to light pressure and this is what I done in 1 minute.

the photo shows the patch clearer, but the patch actually still has a tint. would 2 coats of primer be enough to totally cover the tint?

thanks
Attachments
stair post.jpg
stair post.jpg (152.96 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

Bedec MSP is all you need. No primer needed, and I reckon three coats will cover that post completely, maybe even two.
Just follow the instructions on the Bedec MSP tin, and you will be fine. allfinishes.co.uk is another supplier of bedec products.
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

by the way, since you are painting that post, you don't really need to sand it back to bare wood - what you have done in the picture above is more than enough to paint over.
finest1

Post by finest1 »

thanks Sammy

I have loads of Leyland primer and undercoat. general feedback from users are saying 2 coats on bare wood

:thumbleft:
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

You shouldn't use knotting solution under Bedec MSP. BIN is fine though.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”