Painting a colour 'wash' on distressed plaster

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

felix_cohen
Newly registered Member

Post by felix_cohen »

Hi! First time posting here, so apologies if this has been answered before. I recently got my first place and in the process of stripping (so many layers) of wallpaper in the living room ended up with really lovely distressed plaster which I've decided to keep. However, the room is much lighter than I'd planned for so I hoping there's a way that I can paint over the plaster and still have all the 'distress' visible. I am hoping to avoid 'messy' looking paint, but want to just paint a consistent colour wash over the plaster.

I've tried a limewash paint, as the pics I could find made it look like that might be the best approach, but I found it much more opaque than expected. I've seen some tips around for adding a glaze to a regular paint, but I worry that if I apply that with a roller I'll end up with patchy amounts of opacity on the wall.

Happy to get a pro in to do the work if needed but any tips/advice? For context, the colour I'm hoping to use is a dark green.

Thanks!
83676858_541439356471235_5768276756316420896_n.jpg
83676858_541439356471235_5768276756316420896_n.jpg (139.17 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Bronco
Newly registered Member

Post by Bronco »

Hi felix,
Have a look on youtube polyvine colour washing. i wood seal the wall first then colour wash.
As long as you dont do any making good the wall should come out well, you could use different tints or shades in certain areas to highlight the distress.
With that old fireplace it could look great.
These users thanked the author Bronco for the post:
felix_cohen (Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:00 am)
Rating: 7.14%
felix_cohen
Newly registered Member

Post by felix_cohen »

Thanks, that does look closer. It's still no a uniform finish though, perhaps that's just not possible with something transparent...

What are the advantages of sealing? When I was looking at lime wash paints one of the advantages seemed to be that it was breathable? It's an old building so anything to help with damp will be good! Would I just be sealing with a PVA sealer or might it be worth looking at a clear limewash?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I am afraid that I, like most folk, have a conservative style that would be horrified to see a finish like that. You really must think if your decorating style is detracting from the value of your home. Anyone looking at that would immediately be thinking of the cost to put it right. I would be thinking of skimming and pulling that 1930's fireplace out.

Still, it is your home to do what you want, I am just trying to give you another perspective.

DWD
Bronco
Newly registered Member

Post by Bronco »

Hi felix,
Sealing / stabilizing will give a uniform and consistent surface to paint on. make sure you purchase one for internal walls.
Dont use PVA as this can cause problems.
I use practice boards before any live painting.
DWD does have a point. you could end up with a wall that even you are not happy with and it will have coast you money.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 pm
I am just trying to give you another perspective.

DWD
I bet you haven't got a pink bike though! :lol: :wink:
One day it will all be firewood.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Limewash is an okay option but it is a fragile finish - prone to picking up marks basically. You want to keep the room aired a little to keep the damp down - if paint is coming off due to damp then you have quite a serious problem which will need help. It will give a nice chalky look though. I would get a cheap small spray gun to hide the mark making.

You can use any diluted vinyl matt - I would not use Dulux though, or an acrylic primer. Just thin and use small batches at a time, don't thin it all out at once.
These users thanked the author Puma for the post:
felix_cohen (Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 pm)
felix_cohen
Newly registered Member

Post by felix_cohen »

Thanks puma, v helpful. I'm going to pick up a piece of plasterboard and try some finishes out, I think, definitely seems the smart thing to do rather than be impatient.

DWD, while the majority of people certainly do recently appear to be conservative, I'm happy to stick with the alternatives ;). Thanks for your feedback though.
felix_cohen
Newly registered Member

Post by felix_cohen »

ayjay that's going to be hanging above the fireplace! 1990 klein rascal, first bike I ever dreamed of owning and v rare these days (sadly that one is unrideable or I'd be on it in the woods)
felix_cohen
Newly registered Member

Post by felix_cohen »

bronco, is something like this best? "Zinsser Peel Stop Primer Paint Clear" (can't post a link to toolstation directly, sorry)

Any idea if that will dry matt or gloss?
Bronco
Newly registered Member

Post by Bronco »

Hi Felix,
Ive been using dulux stabilising primer.( 5L from screwfix) dries translucent.
Zinsser gardz binds down chalky surfaces and dries clear.
I have never used peel stop so cant comment.
Bronco.
These users thanked the author Bronco for the post:
felix_cohen (Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 am)
felix_cohen
Newly registered Member

Post by felix_cohen »

Bronco, that's worked great. Had to cure some bits the next morning with a heat gun to get full transparency as the walls are bloody cold at the moment but it's sealed it really nicely. Thanks!
These users thanked the author felix_cohen for the post:
Bronco (Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:18 pm)
Bronco
Newly registered Member

Post by Bronco »

Hi Felix,
What product did you use in the end ?
If you have any left you could seal your practice board with it. you will then see how whatever you use turns out over the sealer.
i have never used limewash. Apart from shellac as a sealer on wood i use waterbased products.
you may want to practice base coating using different colours to highlight the different surfaces you have then apply a top coat.
Its up to you how far you wish to go. there are WB glazes, scumbles and varnishes you can use to create effect and depth.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”