Thermal lining paper

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Jazzer
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Thermal lining paper

Post by Jazzer »

Has anyone used wallrock thermal lining paper? If so is it worth the expense? We have solid sandstone walls and the house costs a small fortune to heat.

Thanks in advance.
Rorschach

Thermal lining paper

Post by Rorschach »

It might make the walls feel warmer to the touch but won't do diddly squat for your heating bill.
dynamod
Elephant Man

Thermal lining paper

Post by dynamod »

The heating bill issue is very subjective, and given the variables in heat loss from any building, I wouldn't be too keen to make any sort of comment regarding this aspect.

That said, thermal liners can and do make a room 'feel' warmer (in the same way as carpet vs laminate can do)

I've used it a few times, and my tuppence worth is this:
  • It's not the easiest to cut around obstacles on walls, regardless of what the University of YouTube might suggest. Even trimming the top and bottom is best done with VERY sharp scissors or a Stanley Knife.
  • Measure and plan out where the drop edges will land relative to the obstacles/features in your way. You can avoid any major sore heads this way.
  • Make sure you use the Wallrock Power Adhesive.
  • I'd only really recommend it on external walls (ie - cold walls)
Nihil expectore in omnibus
camallison

Thermal lining paper

Post by camallison »

It worked for us on external walls that were very cold. Been in place now for 6 years and even on the coldest days (-5C) has improved things. I would echo the comments about cutting it, using their Power adhesive and add the use of their lining 'paper'. Not cheap but worth it for us.

Colin
toolbox

Thermal lining paper

Post by toolbox »

camallison wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am It worked for us on external walls that were very cold. Been in place now for 6 years and even on the coldest days (-5C) has improved things. I would echo the comments about cutting it, using their Power adhesive and add the use of their lining 'paper'. Not cheap but worth it for us.

Colin
Yes Agree walls do feel warmer our bathroom is more comfortable.
Rorschach

Thermal lining paper

Post by Rorschach »

Please don't confuse the walls feeling warmer with actual insulation value, I think the OP is more concerned with keeping the house warm and the thermal lining paper is not going to help with that at all.
Puma

Thermal lining paper

Post by Puma »

It's actually a lot more complicated that U values or R values. In a nut shell it makes a big difference. A normal plaster wall will cool over night and attract damp. Now to heat that up again you have to drive away a little damp which takes a lot of energy and warm up the first few mill of plaster. That might take half an hour so every time you switch the heating on, so you are losing, if you like, half an hours worth of heat. That's sort of what it feels like. Rooms with thermal lining feel drier and warmer by a noticeable amount.
These users thanked the author Puma for the post (total 2):
toolbox (Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm) • Have Brush Will Travel (Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:49 pm)
Rating: 14.29%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”