Plastered finish or tape and joint??

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

CHIPPYAL
Been thanked: 0

Post by CHIPPYAL »

Customer of mine is having an extension built and the builder wants to finish in tape and joint rather than plaster

I know its quicker for the builder but what offers the best finish? even though its jointed is there still filling and sanding down to be done and is it rougher to look at when painted?

many thanks for any advice

Al
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Shouldn't look rougher as long as the plasterboards are in good nick. There is a degree of sanding to be done after the final fill to smooth out the finish and make it flush with the board.

ah
54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

A lot of tape & fill here in Scotland, generally only get a full skim on old walls.

I do a lot of T & F myself, the advantage being that I can get started on the mist coat quite often within 24 hours (temperature/humidity allowing) rather than waiting 4 days plus for a full skim to dry out. If the plasterer knows what they're doing sanding is minimal and the finished seams impossible to distinguish. Even better if you can get the T&F done on a Friday and you can guarantee to have mist & at least one finish coat by Monday evening.
There are no problems - only solutions
Nos

Post by Nos »

Here in France almost all new builds are Dry lined, just make sure they use the correct boards, ours will be having three fills and sanding, so when painted should be as smooth as a babys bot! dont always expect skimmed (wet) to be any better, plastering is a very skilled job, it doesn't always end up smooth, have seen plenty that in the right light looks like corrugated iron.
Daveyted
Newly registered Member

Post by Daveyted »

Make sure they screw fix the plasterboard otherwise nail heads might appear in a few months
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Nos wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 am Here in France almost all new builds are Dry lined, just make sure they use the correct boards, ours will be having three fills and sanding, so when painted should be as smooth as a babys bot! dont always expect skimmed (wet) to be any better, plastering is a very skilled job, it doesn't always end up smooth, have seen plenty that in the right light looks like corrugated iron.
What are the correct boards as a matter of interest? Do you mean the ones with the tapered edge?
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Argyll wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:59 am
Nos wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 am Here in France almost all new builds are Dry lined, just make sure they use the correct boards, ours will be having three fills and sanding, so when painted should be as smooth as a babys bot! dont always expect skimmed (wet) to be any better, plastering is a very skilled job, it doesn't always end up smooth, have seen plenty that in the right light looks like corrugated iron.
What are the correct boards as a matter of interest? Do you mean the ones with the tapered edge?
Yes, tapered. You can tape & fill square edge board but it means you need to taper out the join significantly to make it unnoticeable.

I just finished boarding out a bedroom and used 1800x900 to make navigating the stairs and installing myself easier. I installed the boards horizontal so had the tapered edge horizontally and butt joins vertically.

ah

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”