Rough cast

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

mole81

Rough cast

Post by mole81 »

:thumbright: I need to paint the outside of my house and all the walls are rough cast. Struggling with the 6 inch brush I bought and it's really tedious! Can anyone recommend a good brush and sleeve for this kind of work? Any tips welcome too!
OchAye

Rough cast

Post by OchAye »

Howdy, I could not recommend a brush or in any case a brush for those with a brush fetish[*] as you will probably have to throw it away at the end of the job. Further, I do not have a clue how rough your rough cast is. Simply 6" wide would be good for applying some soft paint on a smooth surface and will probably shed more bristles than paint in the process.

A 3" at a maximum 4" synthetic brush. For sleeves see the hamilton sleeves ... and look for extra long pile roller sleeve (perfection would be my choice). The trick would be to thin the first coat (10% water???) of whatever (what???) paint you are using and go full strength for the second coat. Read the instructions for whether your paint can be thinned and if so by how much. If you are using a quality trade paint you can probably thin it even if it does not advice you to do so, if the paint is from a German grocery store or some other stuff from B&Poo ... you pays your money you takes your choice.

Not much help I know ... just a starter for anyone else to give you more precise information.

----
[*] brush fetish is when you buy new brush(es), take them in the bathroom to try dry cutting in at the door architraves (with the door shut), and then you run the brush over your lips to feel how smooth and soft it is :huray:
OchAye

Rough cast

Post by OchAye »

PS. If you use a roller sleeve, make sure you are well covered (arms, hair, glasses so you can't see what you are doing). You will get splash and masonry paints sticks so nicely :mrgreen:

EDIT. Oh no, I found you a brush for £2 if it is still available https://www.diy.com/departments/hamilto ... 864_BQ.prd

or you can have a farrow and balls for £14 https://www.farrow-ball.com/brushes-rol ... onry-brush. You will have to preserve the handle of this one ... oil or oil and wax at a minimum.

I promise to go back to my wine now :hiding:
mole81

Rough cast

Post by mole81 »

Thanks for the reply, I've been using a block brush, guess not good? Paint is sandtex ultra smooth.m masonry
OchAye

Rough cast

Post by OchAye »

Sorry. Should have been clearer. The brush is too wide,
mole81

Rough cast

Post by mole81 »

Why is being wide a bad thing? :dunno:
OchAye

Rough cast

Post by OchAye »

OK. I will rise to the wind up :-)

If you had to paint a smooth surface, e.g. a plastered wall, then no problem. But with a rough surface (and I don't know how rough it is) you will have to work the paint into the bits. So you may have to paint spots by brushing in various directions, stub the brush etc and still fail to get paint in a deeper area. I also suggested thinning the first coat but not the second coat, and a roller sleeve may help.
mole81

Rough cast

Post by mole81 »

No wind up! Genuinely don't know! Would I need a double arm roller pole too?
OchAye

Rough cast

Post by OchAye »

How much do you have to paint? Single storey, how high do you have to reach? Soon the rainy weather will put an end to what you are trying to do.

If you are to use a pole you should really be looking at 12" sleeves as they are the ones that will have a double arm frame. You can use a 9" with a single arm frame and a pole but you have no control (well I broke the frame first time I tried that). If you go to 12" you either need a scuttle or a wide tray (toolstation used to have a 15" tray ... sorry can't check it now). If everything is within easy reach, maybe going up 1 step on a ladder, a 9" + handle would do at least for you to try and see if it helps. I pointed you to Hamilton sleeves earlier and at a couple of "masonry" brushes to give you an idea of what you are looking for.
mole81

Rough cast

Post by mole81 »

It's a bungalow so only the pine end needs a ladder above the adjoined garage. Should I wait til spring now?

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”