AdBlue Help

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

McBegbie
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

AdBlue Help

Post by McBegbie »

Ok, I have a new diesel car and I've never come across Adblue before. In a moment of utter dimwittedness I put windscreen wash in the Adblue tank (I'll be honest, I just saw the blue cap and made a very wrong assumption). Do I just need to get it to a garage to get the tank emptied and flushed?
ayjay

Re: AdBlue Help

Post by ayjay »

McBegbie wrote:Ok, I have a new diesel car and I've never come across Adblue before. In a moment of utter dimwittedness I put windscreen wash in the Adblue tank (I'll be honest, I just saw the blue cap and made a very wrong assumption). Do I just need to get it to a garage to get the tank emptied and flushed?
I think that would do it.

I might be tempted to drain (syphon) it myself and fill with the correct stuff. It doesn't get mixed with the fuel, (it's injected into the exhaust system) so shouldn't do any harm to the engine.

I don't know if it would cause any problems with the catalytic converter if you've got one.
One day it will all be firewood.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: AdBlue Help

Post by big-all »

as add blue is expensive
i would drain as best you can flush with water as its chemically neutral and will massively dilute any corrosive or possible chemical or heat reaction from antifreeze drain as much as possible and maybe add say 10% adblue until you've run the vehicle without any conscernes for a while
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”