Innit typical.....

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Innit typical.....

Post by kellys_eye »

We were off to deliver some orders so went to use the 'curry car' - key in, 'click' - nothing. Won't start. Suspected battery. Bugger.

Took the Jeep instead. Stopped off to buy new battery for curry car. Made deliveries, got to wholesale place, bought peppers and onions, went to start Jeep - nothing. Display shows 'damaged key'. :wtf: :scratch:

Mrs k_e had her set of keys with her too. Nothing. :angryfire: Battery disconnected, battery reconnected (ECU reset) - still nothing. ::b

Green flag. They arrive 90 minutes later, take one look at Missus and " :lol: :lol: :lol: you're the one with the wrong fuel the other week, aren't you :lol: :lol: " Much hilarity later his code reader declares the car key reader module FUBAR'd so it's a tow-away job. "You'll need a stealership to fit a new module and code you some new keys" :shock: Stealership is 2-1/2 hours away (Glasgow) and we're talking £££'s here. Chuff.

Taxi home (30 miles one way - luckily Green Flag cough up for this). Jeep arrives on back of truck later that evening and is deposited in driveway.

New battery (which we'd left in the Jeep) fitted to curry car and we're mobile again - phew. Spend the evening contemplating the expense and pondering disposing of the Jeep as-is, part-x or scrapping for parts. Decide to have a go at fixing it myself - nothing to lose.

Took key module out, took it apart, found a broken (hair-like) wire to sense coil, resoldered, rebuilt, slapped it back in - WORKING!!!!!

So from two dud cars to two fixed cars in 24 hours.

Typical day at Curry-central...... :lol:
Don't take it personally......
dewaltdisney

Innit typical.....

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well done, that fix would have defeated most people including me. :thumbright:

DWD
Rorschach

Innit typical.....

Post by Rorschach »

Good stuff. Always very satisfying fixing things.

A year of travelling not much more than just a mile down the road to the shops has taken it toll on family vehicles as well. One new battery already, another one will need doing soon and one vehicle has had problems with the throttle control getting sticky from too little use.
wine~o

Innit typical.....

Post by wine~o »

congrats on overcoming adversity
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
kellys_eye

Innit typical.....

Post by kellys_eye »

We've never been one's to lie down and take it. There have been some really difficult times for us in the past so a knackered car is pretty lame in the scheme of things but the fixing of it (the fixing of any problem really) gives you a boost and confidence too.

This is pretty much why sites like UHM exist I suppose - if you can share experience without being mean about it (I know of people who hoard their knowledge like it was a store of gold and won't part with a sliver of it) it is, for me anyway, payback. Karma if you like.

One more little bit of knowledge to add to my store and available to others if/when they need it!
Don't take it personally......

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”