Replacement exhaust for Suzuki Wagon R

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

Got a problem with the exhaust on my 2007 Wagon R+, I only bought it 7 months ago and worked fine until recently. Its fairly old and a few leaks means the sensor is sending dodgy messages to the carb, hence it is runnning really rough. MOTs OK till October but I don't think it will pass with this going on, also I'd like a smooth ride and I don't think it is doing the car any good.
I have contacted Suzuki and they stopped making exhaust systems for this model some years ago. Also contacted a couple of exhaust dealers and apparently they never made copies of this system.

Any thoughts on alternative exhaust systems or where I may be able to get hold of one?
There are no problems - only solutions
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I don't know if this will give you a lead https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/car- ... t%20System

DWD
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

What parts do you need ? What size engine ? 2 or 4wd ?

I Would think it's the same exhaust as the Vauxhall Agila that has a better aftermarket support

PM me your VIN and i will look up the OEM numbers
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Seem to remember Vauxhall Agila 4 cylinder engine, and Suzuki Wagon R was 3 cylinder engine. The Vauxhall had problems with fuel tank rusting through, and Vauxhall rear seats with 40/60 split and Suzuki 50/50 split but they were very similar.
54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

dewaltdisney wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am dewaltdisney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am

I don't know if this will give you a lead https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/car- ... t%20System

DWD

Thanks DWD, I spoke to this company a couple of days ago and they looked up the part No on the Suzuki site and found that no-one had done a copy - meanwhile Suzuki say that they don't have the part anywhere. Seems they only fitted it to that years model.
54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

ericmark wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 pm ericmark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 pm

Seem to remember Vauxhall Agila 4 cylinder engine, and Suzuki Wagon R was 3 cylinder engine. The Vauxhall had problems with fuel tank rusting through, and Vauxhall rear seats with 40/60 split and Suzuki 50/50 split but they were very similar.
Other way round, the Agila was 3 cylinder and was an absolute rust bucket. I had one a few years ago (for a very short period!) OK for puddling about town but useless on anything resmbling long distance. Scrapped it and got an 02 plate Wagon R which was excellent and ran for 6 years - finally getting a bit rattly last Autumn hence the new(er) 07 plate which is part Vauxhall and causing the problem
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Its the opel/vauxhall Z12XEP same as the Corsa

I'm still looking but euroflo list the exhaust if it's not on the shelf its made to order http://www.euroflo.co.uk/Catalogue/Suzu ... stems.aspx
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

There are firms that build up exhausts to suit from scratch. Not sure if they are silly money but I saw Ant Anstiss making up exhausts on Wheeler Dealers. He used a pipe bending jig and welded joints onto the shaped tubes.

DWD
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

£60-70 for the mid-section the same again for the back box. the old school way is they made it on a jig, these days they have cnc benders that do the hard work

The other option is to get a cat back made by a proper exhaust shop
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

54aardvark wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:43 pm
ericmark wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 pm ericmark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 pm

Seem to remember Vauxhall Agila 4 cylinder engine, and Suzuki Wagon R was 3 cylinder engine. The Vauxhall had problems with <span class="skimwords-potential">fuel tank</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> rusting through, and Vauxhall rear seats with 40/60 split and Suzuki 50/50 split but they were very similar.
Other way round, the Agila was 3 cylinder and was an absolute rust bucket. I had one a few years ago (for a very short period!) OK for puddling about town but useless on anything resmbling long distance. Scrapped it and got an 02 plate Wagon R which was excellent and ran for 6 years - finally getting a bit rattly last Autumn hence the new(er) 07 plate which is part Vauxhall and causing the problem
No Agila was 4 cylinder, I had one, seems designed to comply with rules in Japan where if the car was under a set width it had some advantages, James May did a TV program about them. Taxation class I seem to remember, France did some thing similar at one point, hence the 2CV which was a taxation class, and in this country it was the three wheeler under 7 cwt.

It seems in France now there is a no permit electric car, does some thing like 22 MPH and you don't need a driving licence for it. Here it seems we are slow, we have the e-bike 250 watt and 16 MPH limit for motor assistance, but near everything else you need to be disabled to legally use it.

I had the Agila at the same time as wife had Toyota Yaris, and she was in USA, so I alternated between the two, living in North Wales and working on building of Heathrow T5, the Yaris did far better MPG, and was better all round, but cost more than Agila to buy, it was an automatic with overdrive on top two gears, normally the automatic do less to gallon, but not that one.

Today again automatic, 8 speed, Jaguar XE, and again the automatic it seems better than manual, towing limit 1800 auto and only 1500 manual. I normally drive a Kia Sorento which that was auto, the rev band is so small for ever changing gear. Old Agila was far easier to drive, and park, even if it did not have heated seats, etc.
54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

Bob225 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:13 pm Its the opel/vauxhall Z12XEP same as the Corsa

I'm still looking but euroflo list the exhaust if it's not on the shelf its made to order http://www.euroflo.co.uk/Catalogue/Suzu ... stems.aspx
Thanks for that, I'll get onto them tomorraw.
Don't think its worth getting a tailormade one as I don't plan on getting much more than a couple of years out of this car. Semi-retired now but when I do fully retire its my dream car (and a trrip down memory lane) with a Morris Minor.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Most places can do a mild steel exhaust and standard back boxes not just stainless steel roy bacer setups with bean can tips and 3" straight pipes

There are quite a few cars out there that nobody makes parts for eg. GT4 Celica ABS sensors NOS one's go for 2-300 each IF you can find them
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
54aardvark (Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”