Electric car charging

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jaeger

Electric car charging

Post by jaeger »

Makes me laugh when I see pictures like this of cars being charged in public, videos of people getting charging cables out of their cars and plugging them in, how long do you reckon that cable would last before it was nicked?
Attachments
3000.jpg
3000.jpg (142.94 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
Someone-Else

Electric car charging

Post by Someone-Else »

I hear what you say, but as your picture shows the cable is still there.
That said, for a "bit of cable" they are not cheap This one is £358
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
jaeger

Electric car charging

Post by jaeger »

If that was in a real world situation and not a photo shoot that cable would be gone, I would also expect a personal injury claim soon for someone tripping over the cable.
Someone-Else

Electric car charging

Post by Someone-Else »

jaeger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:05 amIf that was in a real world situation and not a photo shoot that cable would be gone, I would also expect a personal injury claim soon for someone tripping over the cable.
Not wishing to "rain on your parade" but I see the likes of above quite often, I work in London (Not Today :-) )
It could be said why would a person be walking beside the car and the post when there is more room between the wall and the post.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

jaeger

Electric car charging

Post by jaeger »

Well if you see it and nothing happens then it must be so. But I''ll wager someone will trip over it to make a claim, it's just begging for it.
Someone-Else

Electric car charging

Post by Someone-Else »

Next one I see, I will post a pic. (Not today, going to London tomorrow)

Rorschach

Electric car charging

Post by Rorschach »

There is someone on my daily walk route that charges their car with a cable coming out of their living room window right across the pavement. I'll get a pic next time I see it.
jaeger

Electric car charging

Post by jaeger »

Don't need a photo to prove you've seen it, never said people don't, but I stand by what i said that if people leave coils of cable lying on a pavement or strung across it then
someone whether by accident or deliberate will trip and make a claim.
Argyll

Electric car charging

Post by Argyll »

You can't steal the cable. It's locked into the car.
dewaltdisney

Electric car charging

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think that the cars central locking includes the plug point in the car and I suspect that the public charge point leaves the lead connected and locked into the machine until the end of the charge period set.

DWD
jaeger

Electric car charging

Post by jaeger »

Battery disk cutter or heavy duty cutters will make short work of it, voltage wont be a deterrent, they nick signaling cable with live high voltage.

As for locking mech: Charging cables are highly vulnerable to theft and vandalism and the reporting of innumerable theft of cables in recent times is a testament to this. For example, the fragile locking mechanism of an EV like Nissan Leaf makes it easy for thieves to unlock the latch quickly and take it away. Now you see it, now you don’t.
(EVcableshop)
Bob225

Electric car charging

Post by Bob225 »

jaeger wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm Battery disk cutter or heavy duty cutters will make short work of it, voltage wont be a deterrent, they nick signaling cable with live high voltage.
No point as the scrap value is very low (4-5m of 3x 6mm2 and 2x0.50mm2 sense wires), the cables are keyed and locked to the car. Apart from unplugging it from the charger to annoy the owner, charging cables can be had for under £150 - as for tripping over it, they are brightly coloured, and you should be looking where you're walking not glued to your phone

Edit. Most EV's have phone apps and you will get an alert when its charged or disconnected, new EV's have built in cameras too
jaeger

Electric car charging

Post by jaeger »

If people looked where they were going there'd be a lot less accidents but people don't and what about night time, a lot of street lights switch off and leave streets in darkness so it can be as bright as you like but still be unseen, what about it snowing and covering the cable.

When I worked in the TV repair business we used to put all the scrap TV's in the yard, caught the local travelers cutting all the AC power cables off one morning, how much scrap is in a few feet of mains cable but they still did it.
Someone-Else

Electric car charging

Post by Someone-Else »

plug.jpg
plug.jpg (139.65 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Never one when you want one, but saw this one today (Friday)

Adam32

Electric car charging

Post by Adam32 »

I have an electric car and the cable locks in when you are charging. I charge mine everywhere and never had my cable nicked!

Best thing I ever did was to buy an electric car, especially in these challenging times. If the muppets start panic buying fuel, at least I can still get around. Plus I charge the battery to 100% for about £5!

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”