cooling fan coming on too soon

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

vwgolf1.9tdi
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vwgolf1.9tdi »

Hi

I've got a 2008 vw golf 1.9 tdi bxe engine. When i start the car it starts fine and idles at the usual 800-900 rpm. After about 20 seconds the cooling fan starts and the revs increase. I have replaced the cooling temperature sensor but the fault remains. The car drives fine but will idle at about 1000-1100. intermittently the car will idle correctly but more than often during a journey it will idle high with the fan running. Any ideas what this could be without paying a fortune to get it diagnosed ?

Thanks
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

How do you know its not working as it should?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

there are 2 temp sensors 1 for the ecu and the other is for the gauges iirc, I assume you have changed the temp sensor on the rad outlet on the engine (held by a big metal clip) Check the temp with a scan tool and see what it reads

Have you scanned the car for codes ? because it will usually store one
vwgolf1.9tdi
Newly registered Member

Post by vwgolf1.9tdi »

someone-else wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:18 pm How do you know its not working as it should?
The fan shouldnt come on until the engine reaches optimum temp or you use air con
vwgolf1.9tdi
Newly registered Member

Post by vwgolf1.9tdi »

Bob225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:51 am there are 2 temp sensors 1 for the ecu and the other is for the gauges iirc, I assume you have changed the temp sensor on the rad outlet on the engine (held by a big metal clip) Check the temp with a scan tool and see what it reads

Have you scanned the car for codes ? because it will usually store one
Hi
Ive replaced the temp sensor that goes in the side of the engine. ive only got an obd reader and that shows up nothing. Do you think it could be the other sensor on the rad outlet ?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

TBH VW isn't my thing If it has a switch on the rad that's the one that controls the fan - edit. a quick look on ecp yes it does, £10-20 less discount (MID60 gives 35-40% discount)
vwgolf1.9tdi
Newly registered Member

Post by vwgolf1.9tdi »

Bob225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 am TBH VW isn't my thing If it has a switch on the rad that's the one that controls the fan - edit. a quick look on ecp yes it does, £10-20 less discount (MID60 gives 35-40% discount)

Thanks for that ill get one of them. do you happen to have a link or a part number so i can get one. ebay is a mine field when it comes to car parts.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”