Prep for painting fence

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

spr0ut
Been thanked: 0

Prep for painting fence

Post by spr0ut »

I need to paint my garden fences and (due to a neighbour painting my side of their panels) need to do them all grey.

I have bought paint (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Cuprinol-5-Yea ... L/p/156460) and am waiting for nicer weather to do the job.

The current panels are various shades of brown. Am I right in saying that, after removing debris, nails etc, I can just paint on with the new paint rather than having to sand down every panel first?
aeromech3

Prep for painting fence

Post by aeromech3 »

I used this but Forest Brown for my new fencing, easy to apply with just a 3" brush (not block brush as that makes your hand & wrist tired) my neighbour across got the same in grey and put on his old fence last weekend after a dust rub with garden broom, only one coat whereas I used 2 on new fence.
Attachments
Fence.jpg
Fence.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 864 times
These users thanked the author aeromech3 for the post:
spr0ut (Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:37 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Prep for painting fence

Post by dewaltdisney »

I have never bothered painting fence panels, let alone sand them. Cuprinol is a penetrative solvent-based preservatives that will penetrate the wood and possibly mess up your neighbour's side finish so be careful. The best solution would be the water-based waxy coating that comes in colours. This lays more on the surface and protects quite well. Shrubs that touch might scratch it off in the area due to wind movement though.

DWD
aeromech3

Prep for painting fence

Post by aeromech3 »

DWD check the link it is the Ducksback product waxy water based.
dewaltdisney

Prep for painting fence

Post by dewaltdisney »

Oh yeah, I did not check the link initially as I assumed it was Cuprinol shed and fence which is a solvent based preservative I have used on outbuildings. It would sink right through knots to the other side. The wax stuff will be okay, but to answer the initial question, no, I would not do any prep. Incidentally, I painted my shed with some BnQ waxy stuff that had been in the shed for 15 years. Still good after all this time and it must have frozen a few times over the winters.

DWD
diydaddy50
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Prep for painting fence

Post by diydaddy50 »

Is that fence on your land??? I would not like the neighbour painting the fence part.

I'd say it is best to sand out a smooth finish before painting. They are not new fence panels. So do prepare the surface first.

Return to “General DIY forum”