Save my garden

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Save my garden

Post by dewaltdisney »

When you dig it over it will be lumpy with dead stuff in. Leave it a day and it will have dried a bit so it will break up easier. Add a bit of compost at this point mix it all together and rake it smooth but loose. Next, I used a hand fork and ploughed some furrows systematically and sprinkled seed in before brushing the soil back over. This gives a constant pattern when it grows rather than scattering and hoping for the best. I still had a few bits I had to resow. You do not want it to look like Rooney's bonce. :lol:

DWD
Deb25
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Save my garden

Post by Deb25 »

Ok I’m braving it and going to dig up the whole garden - I take it this will be ok even with the big of grass that has grown?

Should I use top soil or just ordinary compost?

Sorry again for all the silly questions- I really have no clue with the whole garden world :?
adonis

Save my garden

Post by adonis »

What you could do is after you have raked it in and watered it put a couple of black bags over it, that will keep it moist and it will come up in a week, then take the plastic off.
dewaltdisney

Save my garden

Post by dewaltdisney »

Whatever you have will be good. I have never tried forcing under plastic like Adonis mentions above so I cannot comment on that bit. this will be a bit of a slog but do it in stages if you get tired. There is no hurry.

DWD
Deb25
Newly registered Member

Save my garden

Post by Deb25 »

Hello again!
The grass seed seems to be growing well now :thumbright: , only problem is there is a lot of patchy areas. My thinking is to cut the grass then add some more seed and soil - does sound like the right thing to do?
Thanks!
Attachments
ED0C4F88-24AF-4ED9-A0A4-ABB05D890CD0.jpeg
ED0C4F88-24AF-4ED9-A0A4-ABB05D890CD0.jpeg (509.04 KiB) Viewed 3624 times
Chippo1

Save my garden

Post by Chippo1 »

Yes that’s a plan , lawns look beautiful, as long as you remember they are an ongoing project.

Don’t forget Wimbledon and most high end football pitches are dug up and started agian every year
Deb25
Newly registered Member

Save my garden

Post by Deb25 »

Thank you! I put the grass seed down nearly 3 weeks ago, should I be able to cut it now or hold off a bit longer?
I’m definitely going to pay a lot more attention it it from now as it was a bit neglected :cb
dewaltdisney

Save my garden

Post by dewaltdisney »

That looks good. You can cut but adust the mower to a high cut just to level it out a bit. The bare areas you need to do with a small hand fork. Plough some furrows and drop the seed in before covering over. I have done exactly that on mine and it is all a solid lush patch now. How did the steps go?

DWD
Deb25
Newly registered Member

Save my garden

Post by Deb25 »

Woohoo! Just need to wait for the rain to have a break and can get it cut!
The stairs are back to normal now and can walk up them without the worry of them collapsing :lol: we rarely use them but nice for them to be fixed for when we need to! You’ve been a great help!

Return to “Gardeners World”