Save my garden

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Save my garden

Post by dewaltdisney » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm

When you dig it over it will be lumpy with dead stuff in. Leave it a day and it will have dried a bit so it will break up easier. Add a bit of compost at this point mix it all together and rake it smooth but loose. Next, I used a hand fork and ploughed some furrows systematically and sprinkled seed in before brushing the soil back over. This gives a constant pattern when it grows rather than scattering and hoping for the best. I still had a few bits I had to resow. You do not want it to look like Rooney's bonce. :lol:

DWD
Deb25
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Save my garden

Post by Deb25 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Ok I’m braving it and going to dig up the whole garden - I take it this will be ok even with the big of grass that has grown?

Should I use top soil or just ordinary compost?

Sorry again for all the silly questions- I really have no clue with the whole garden world :?
adonis

Save my garden

Post by adonis » Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 pm

What you could do is after you have raked it in and watered it put a couple of black bags over it, that will keep it moist and it will come up in a week, then take the plastic off.
dewaltdisney

Save my garden

Post by dewaltdisney » Tue May 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Whatever you have will be good. I have never tried forcing under plastic like Adonis mentions above so I cannot comment on that bit. this will be a bit of a slog but do it in stages if you get tired. There is no hurry.

DWD
Deb25
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Save my garden

Post by Deb25 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Thank you!
We have some rain due again over the weekend so hopefully will keep it moist without the bags.
Will it work if I do it bit by bit? Say I start at the back of the garden (the worst part with hardly any grass) and do all steps on that, then next week start the part down. Or do I need to do it all at once?

Return to “Gardeners World”