Lawn Thatch rakes

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

newdud
Been thanked: 0

Lawn Thatch rakes

Post by newdud »

My lawn has a lot of thatch on it, now spring is here I am thinking about getting rid of all the dead grass so that it will grow well this summer.
I was looking at rakes to de-thatch it. I am not after a powder machine but some sort of a hand operated one , that is a bit easy on the back !

Can any one recommend one ?
Nos

Lawn Thatch rakes

Post by Nos »

newdud wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:51 am My lawn has a lot of thatch on it, now spring is here I am thinking about getting rid of all the dead grass so that it will grow well this summer.
I was looking at rakes to de-thatch it. I am not after a powder machine but some sort of a hand operated one , that is a bit easy on the back !

Can any one recommend one ?
They are called "Spring" Rakes, Tines, if you can then purchase the "Wolf" version, its very well made, but not cheap, you buy a handle, lots of different lengths, then the separate head, so once you have the handle you can add all the different heads at a later date, there is a lot of different types of attachments, being using them for a number of years, very pleased with them.
dewaltdisney

Lawn Thatch rakes

Post by dewaltdisney »

Just hire a lawn scarifier for a day https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire ... re/140175/
Not worth messing about with rakes :thumbright:

DWD
London mike 61

Lawn Thatch rakes

Post by London mike 61 »

After I’ve raked all the moss out of my lawn, I mix some grass seed with some topsoil ( usually a bag from wickes) and make sure the soil is damp but not wet when I mix 2 or 3 handfuls of seed to 1/2 a bucket of soil. Leave the seed/soil mix to one side for a few days as it helps the seed to swell and start germination then scatter over bare patches and firm down with the back of a spade. By the time the weather has warmed up the bare bits will have grown and the lawn will look great.

Hope this helps

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Return to “Gardeners World”