12V water pump recommendations for sustained use?

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

I have this pump, which is pretty good:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/72W-12V-130P ... SwiMBdrX1T

The only problem is, you can't really use these pumps for more than about 30 minutes before they get too hot. I want a 12v pump that will withstand a few hours of continual use when used with mist nozzles.

Any recommendations?
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

The Tech details:

Service life: more than 500-1000 hours of continuous work
Nos

Post by Nos »

A 12vlt pump, pumping cold water about should not get hot, it use's the water as a coolant and as a lubricant, hence the instructions not to run dry, it should easily manage an irrigation system, however, if you are using a lot of misting nozzles, and I assume they are in a green house :dunno: then your problem could be that you are overloading the pump, a misting system takes a lot of water pressure to work correctly, you need to find out their flow rate and "Bar" pressure multiply by the amount you have, and compare it with the pumps ratings.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Sorry, but I have no idea of the purpose or function of mist nozzles.

Can you use a submerged pond pump? They'll work away for years without overheating.
One day it will all be firewood.
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

Nos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:21 am A 12vlt pump, pumping cold water about should not get hot, it use's the water as a coolant and as a lubricant, hence the instructions not to run dry, it should easily manage an irrigation system, however, if you are using a lot of misting nozzles, and I assume they are in a green house :dunno: then your problem could be that you are overloading the pump, a misting system takes a lot of water pressure to work correctly, you need to find out their flow rate and "Bar" pressure multiply by the amount you have, and compare it with the pumps ratings.
I agree with you and the advertized uses.
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

Pressure: 0.90MPA (MAX 130PSI)

The largest flow: 6L/MIN

The work: intermittent service (continuous working at different working pressures at different times)
Service life: more than 500-1000 hours of continuous work
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

ayjay wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:25 amSorry, but I have no idea of the purpose or function of mist nozzles.

Can you use a submerged pond pump? They'll work away for years without overheating.
Just FYI, mist nozzles are used for a variety of things, but in short it produces a fine mist. Some use them in green houses as the water is so fine (Mist) it does not damage the plants.
In order to achieve mist, high pressure is required, your average pond pump does not produce enough pressure to properly operate a mist nozzle.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

someone-else wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 pm mist nozzles are used for a variety of things, but in short it produces a fine mist. Some use them in green houses as the water is so fine (Mist) it does not damage the plants.
In order to achieve mist, high pressure is required, your average pond pump does not produce enough pressure to properly operate a mist nozzle.
Pressure is much more important than Litres per minute for mist. I get about 100psi from the garden tap, so these pumps are actually better at 130 psi. I don't need much volume of water, it's the pressure that I need. Any other ideas guys?
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

@Adam32. does your garden tap pressure of 100psi run a misting system?

Return to “Gardeners World”